Rm250 vs Xr650r- which one is for me?

23 replies to this topic
  • DR.Zaius

Posted April 22, 2002 - 03:06 PM

Hey guys (and gals...) :D

I could borrow some knowledge if possible. My birfday is in July, and my dad said he will get another bike if I sell everything else. It will kinda be both of ours while we have the DRZ and the new bike, but he doesn't ride nearly as much as me. (He would be riding the DRZ :D ) I know it is pretty much apples and oranges, but I cannot decide which bike to get: RM250 or XR650R. I truly do ride everything possible, and I am leaning towards the RM. I am bigger at 240lbs and 6'1", so that pushes me to the XR, however. And that top speed of a buck even sounds ever intriguing! :D

Whatever I get, it will be a 2001 leftover (hopefully... :D :D )

WHICH SHOULD I GET!!! :) I am stumped and any suggestions or expeeriences with these bikes would be great. Thanks! :D

PS- I posted this over at the Suzook forum, I am leaning towards the Rm, I just want some advice from Honda XR650 riders themselves. :D

• RedThunder

Posted April 22, 2002 - 03:17 PM

Wow......tough choice. All I can say is, ride both bikes and see what fits you the best. I can't say, "you should get the XR because its better," because its not. The XR works great in some places, the RM would be awesome too.

Sorry I can't help much, it all boils down to personal preference on this one.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 22, 2002 - 03:52 PM

Must be a big refund eh? Heck, who needs phonics when your daddy will buy you anything you want!!! :) Maybe I have some common genes with your old man and he could buy me the 650. :D

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 22, 2002 - 04:29 PM

Actually, part of the deal is that I am putting 1500 bucks into it. I worked as a Landscaper/Electrician for a LONG time to get that money. Whatever is left on the bike will be paid off in monthly payments, more than likely by my parents. So step off, ignoramus!!! :D
Just joshing ya! Hahe. :)

• mr660

Posted April 22, 2002 - 07:13 PM

Zaius,
At-A-Boy! Finally opened your own site to take a public trashing! r4sberg is on the money again! The hell with phonics you have your parents. Is the 1500 bones actually from:
A. Male prostitution
B. Donut technition
C. Electrician/Landscaper
Which is it big man! Like Eagle426 stated before; 6'1" 240lbs, that is a lot of sh*t to stuff into one sack!

Go to the nearest gym and find the biggest guy their and ask him to smack you in the mouth!!! How in the hell can you even think about coming onto this thumper section and ask for a comparison between those two machines!! You have not been taking your medications like you are supposed to dammit!

I know your inner rage is firing up at this time, but hey, take an extra dose of thorazine like your doctor talked to you about. Mentioning doctor, did that rash you talked about on the other site ever clear up? Is your mate o.k. withit now?

RM 250 or XR 650! Good Lord Zaius get a hold of yourself boy! You obviously know my recomendation!

Untill next time lad!!!

• Jamo

Posted April 22, 2002 - 09:59 PM

Well done mr660 and r4sbergXR600 good posts glad to see you all understand what this forum is about, keep up the good work.......

• Big_D

Posted April 23, 2002 - 05:39 AM

Fellas, cut Dr.Zaus a little slack! You guys are just torked that Daddy did not buy you a bike. (OK so am I a little)

To the question at hand. Having never ridden the RM, I will tell you what I think I know about it. It will turn better in the tight stuff and need some work (aka $$$) to get it to really go. It will require more maintenance being a 2-stroke and it comes with 2-stroke stink.

The XR will turn slower, have MUCH more grunt out of slow sections and climbs with the big torque of the 4-stroke and low gearing in the XR (Not to mention mr660's displaccement). The XR will last forever with minimal maintenance (oil changes and valve adjustments).

In the end I feel it comes down to the old 2 vs 4 stroke decision. Are you willing to deal with the extra effort and stink of a 2-stroke?

I wasn't... :)

• needsprayer

Posted April 23, 2002 - 10:23 AM

DR.Zaius, or DRZ for short.

Please buy a DRZ-400 and share your experiences with the DRZ crowd.

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 23, 2002 - 02:44 PM

Originally posted by needsprayer:
DR.Zaius, or DRZ for short.

Please buy a DRZ-400 and share your experiences with the DRZ crowd.

What in the holy be-Jesus are you talking about? You aren't making sense much...

mr660-
Well, I knew I couldn't get away with it for long...I made that money in the streets of Boston, as a jiggalo!!! Two nights, you know-I am pricey!

And Big_D
Huh? That RM will rip stock! I know, I met some guy last year with a 100% stock one, and that thing romped quite nicely around the track. That XR needs some moola to uncork, or I could deal with it stock with as much HP as my DRZ! :D

And for the last time, my "daddy" didn't buy me a new shiny bike! All he bought was my Mighty SP100. $700 seven years ago! :)

• Eagle426

Posted April 23, 2002 - 03:32 PM

Dr.Z,
I could not help noticing that you left yourself wide open for this one: I do recall you said you were like 240 pounds. For you to make enough money (in two nights) to buy your own bike, I must ask a question! "How much are you charging for some A$$? Never mind that, according to my calculations, you charged BY THE POUND !!!!!!!!!!

Also, here is my nickel's worth of free advice: If you are going to keep the DRZ that you currently own, buy the RM. EASY THERE FELLOWS! Here is my reasoning: you are already 6'2" and I am sure your arms are long enough, therefore you do not need them stretched out more by trying to hold on to a kicking mule (a.k.a XR650), especially through the tight stuff!

"Opinions are like A$$HOLES, everyone has one and most of them stink!"- so in my opinion, I think it would be nice to have a light/powerful 2-smoke sitting in the garage as well! Just because it would be good to be able to switch back and forth. It would definately give you a work out fine tuning two different riding styles!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eagle426

Posted April 23, 2002 - 03:42 PM

r4sberg,
It is nice to see that there are some MODERATORS out there that like to join in on the harmless bashing of a fellow dirtbiker! Oh well, smiles won't hurt anyone- unless it is the morning after and you have a COYOTE DATE! Then, just chew your arm off and sneak out without waking her!

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 23, 2002 - 03:50 PM

Hey man...

I tried that Atkin's Diet thingy, it works! I lost 5 lbs in 2 days. I ate bacon for breakfast both days too! I gotta watch what I loose, however. I am all muscle baby! :)

• needsprayer

Posted April 23, 2002 - 04:21 PM

"My birfday is in July, and my dad said he will get another bike if I sell everything else."

DRZ,

If you can sense out of your statement, I will make sense out of mine: "Please buy a DRZ-400 and share your experiences with the DRZ crowd."

I'll go first. "Please buy a DRZ-400"
Don't do anything that exceeds your natural abilities. Stay with what is working for you.
"and share your experiences with the DRZ crowd."
Translation: Your rambling gives me a headache. :D :)

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 23, 2002 - 05:24 PM

Look at my signature- ya know, that big list of stuff down there VVVVVV!!! I have a DRZ, and I share experiences with the DRZ forum all the time! :D Blah bluzzy whatta ya treeing to saise to ma, fontane ou no, fur my anglacias is no lokin so hot! (he) :)

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 23, 2002 - 05:38 PM

That isn't even your bike, it's your daddy's. I can just picture your 240 pounds of Muscle (of the genus TABLE)plopping around on a poor little Suzuki 100. I bet it is quite a show being a parking lot hero tagging along behind daddy's shiny yellow machine. Here is a more proper signature:

Suzuki 100: dual rear wheels, custom double bun seat, barbwire barkbusters (with streamers), reinforced frame, custom beer can pipe guard, Richard Simmons' Deal-a-Meal steering damper.

"If it goes fast and I pass my spelling test, daddy said he will buy it for me." :)

• XC800.X

Posted April 23, 2002 - 05:59 PM

BURN!!!!!

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 23, 2002 - 06:15 PM

Originally posted by r4sbergXR600:
That isn't even your bike, it's your daddy's. I can just picture your 240 pounds of Muscle (of the genus TABLE)plopping around on a poor little Suzuki 100. I bet it is quite a show being a parking lot hero tagging along behind daddy's shiny yellow machine. Here is a more proper signature:

Suzuki 100: dual rear wheels, custom double bun seat, barbwire barkbusters (with streamers), reinforced frame, custom beer can pipe guard, Richard Simmons' Deal-a-Meal steering damper.

"If it goes fast and I pass my spelling test, daddy said he will buy it for me." :)

I have an idea... why don't you get a real job? :D

And as a side note, does anyone have experience with either of these bikes, particularly the RM250?! :D

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: DR.Zaius ]

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 23, 2002 - 06:19 PM

Sorry if my degree isn't enough for you. Being a teacher means putting up with punks everyday. Eventually you just get good at it. Now go to bed so you can pass that test junior.

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 23, 2002 - 06:30 PM

Actually, I'm a sophmore. :) :D :D
good advice, though. Goodnight!

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: DR.Zaius ]

• mr660

Posted April 23, 2002 - 10:01 PM

r4sberg,
Nothing like giving a good ass kicking!! Keep it up!!

Eagle 426,
That is the biggest bunch of horse-sh*t advice you could ever give!! You need to run down to Gold's Gym and ask for brutis and have him punch you in the mouth for me!! For crying-out-loud if your going to suggest a 2-smoke to play with (you of all people), then make it a CR or KX 500!! why short change yourself! You can find these bikes as cheap as or cheaper than a 250, because their are not enough fella's out their with cast iron BALLS!!

I understand completely why the suggestion. It is because you and Zaius are short changing because you in fact are wussies! 426's and 400's and 250's, what the hell fella's consider the amount of beef these poor little machines need to carry around.

If you are all muscle Zaius (DREAMS) then don't be afraid to grab the brut force you only need to use what you need! Twist the throttle as much as or as little as you need boy!! Another thought is a 2-stroke moped with peddles if the concept of fear is to much!

To help some of the guys who don't know what the hell some of Zaius's jabber is, Zaius has been in and out of detox a number of times, he has no will power and is obviously hitting the powder again! So stick with him he has exacerbations! (Not masterbations) or maybe that is the problem to many miles and friction on the little guy!

Raw displacement rules dammit!!

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.