toluene

12 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted October 01, 2004 - 03:22 PM

i was reading a post today where a couple people mix pump gas 3 to 1 with toluene. now i'm in the furniture biz and i use this stuff as a stripper! i can't help but think this might be bad for any rubber/plastic parts in the carb. is it safe? :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 01, 2004 - 03:55 PM

After more than a year of using it on 3 different yz250f's (1 for 2 months, 2 continuously for a year) I can say that it definitely causes poses no harm to the bikes. Consider that it's allowed to be in the gas for your car at 40% and still be considered pump gas by the epa. If it's good for your car... :cry:

I have seen a definite increase in power in our bikes. Enough so that I dont have a problem throwing $5 worth in the tank each time I fill it. I wouldnt mind finding it cheaper than $10/gallon though.

Even my 15 year old could tell it made more power. He was definitely against trying it on his at the same time I tried it on mine. it was "No way, you try it first. I dont want you blowing up my bike". (ahh ye of little faith :cry: ) then after I rode with it for a while, I convinced him to try it. 100 feet later he stopped and said "dude, do not ever put anything else in this tank". It aint every day he calls dad, dude.

It's not 500 hp elixar but the stuff really rocks on our yz250f's.

• craft

Posted October 01, 2004 - 03:57 PM

That's nutz! I'd think a bit of overkill if you're mixing with hi-performance fuel, and wouldn't want to be behind you breathing that crap...Why not just run C12 or Ultra 4?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 01, 2004 - 04:03 PM

That's nutz! I'd think a bit of overkill, and wouldn't want to behind you breathing that crap.

trust me, it smells better than riding behind a good case of monkey butt. :cry:

It's a petroleum distillate, and it is a major component of gasoline already. You are sniffing it every time you ride behind someone.

We just add more. cancer causing? probably, but then again so is plain ole gas. so I have gone out of my way to insure my kid doesnt ride with his nose stuck up my pipe. :cry:

just for a tidbit. toluene was the choice of huffers when I was a kid. It still is surprisingly.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2004 - 04:21 PM

That's nutz! I'd think a bit of overkill, and wouldn't want to behind you breathing that crap.

It's a petroleum distillate, and it is a major component of gasoline already. You are sniffing it every time you ride behind someone.

cancer causing? probably, but then again so is plain ole gas. :cry:

True, and while you're off on Tolulene, name a component of gasoline that isn't carcinogenic. Oh! I know! Ethanol, Methanol, and in California (and elsewhere, I'm tellin' ya) MTBE! They're not carcinogens! (maybe MTBE) Of course they ARE water soluble neurotoxins, but hey...

just for a tidbit. toluene was the choice of huffers when I was a kid. It still is surprisingly.

Can't top that

• ncmountainman

Posted October 01, 2004 - 05:53 PM

o.k. i'm sold,i've got a harescrambles sunday and will try it. 3 gal gas(high octane?) and 1 gal toluene,correct? i've been running 3 gal 93 with 2 gal sunoco 110 leaded race gas,i'll report back and see if it's any better than that. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffro426

Posted October 01, 2004 - 05:56 PM

Someone...please correct me if im wrong here, but toluene is pretty much the same stuff you buy in the little bottles marketed as "octane booster". Ive read here several times that octane boosters can severly hurt throttle responce... :cry: :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2004 - 06:45 PM

If you exceed the octane required by the engine by too large a factor, you can loose some of what we called "driveabilty" in the car biz, yes. Depends on the makeup of the gas you add it to. If it works, it works. If not, try another gasoline. Or not.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 02, 2004 - 01:45 AM

So far the gas that works best with it is texaco and amoco premium. The sunoco race gas does not blend well at all with it. Citgo gas runs worse when blended, not that it runs all that good straight. But texaco and amoco really run well blended.

Try it at 20 - 25% first. Then work your way up to 30% there is a point where the blend is too much. I usually put around 1/2 gallon in our tanks and that works out to 25%.

based on the fact that the wrong mix percentage or blending with the wrong gas can make the bike run worse, I would not use a race for the test bed. Take the time to determine what works before the race. :cry:

http://noclownz.dnsa...gas.htm#toluene

• Quik426

Posted October 02, 2004 - 03:23 PM

Just curious........has anyone ever thought of trying the Nitro mix that you buy for the RC cars??? :cry: I'm not knowledgeable on the mix but they have 20%.......is that 20% oil, and 80% Nitro??? I'm just wondering.... :cry:

Quik.

• twowheellen1

Posted October 02, 2004 - 05:00 PM

Just curious........has anyone ever thought of trying the Nitro mix that you buy for the RC cars??? :cry: I'm not knowledgeable on the mix but they have 20%.......is that 20% oil, and 80% Nitro??? I'm just wondering.... :cry:

Quik.

The RC cars run "sometimes"10, 20, 30 ,and 40% nitro. The oil is usually around 10 to 12% and the rest is alcohol. I used to race nitro powered RC cars and I even made my own fuel for a little while.

Nitro makes your engine hotter the more you have in the fuel so I don't think I would use it with out a test engine to burn up.

TW

• NAFLASH

Posted October 02, 2004 - 05:19 PM

i have a couple of nitro RC cars and i was thinkin the same thing,but it might burn the motor up or foul a plug because it does have oil in it.But on 2 smoke dirtbikes it might just work depending on how much u put in,i would try about 100cc of 20%nitro just to be safe. :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2004 - 09:29 PM

has anyone ever thought of trying the Nitro mix that you buy for the RC cars???

1)you run nitro, EVERYONE will know. (distinctive smell, burns your eyes)

2) You'll need to rejet. Nitro at any effective mix ratio is very unforgiving. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.