correct jetting xr600

6 replies to this topic
  • rb

Posted April 20, 2002 - 07:02 AM

sorry to ask which is probably such a frequent question. At present my XR600 has splitfire plug with airduct from top of air box removed, WB airfilter, WB hotip with 65 and 155 jets.

My question if I remove 2 of the 3 layers of gauze from air filter mount what new jet sizes do you recommend and could I then check mixture with any device. I remember that I used a spark plug type device on a car,years ago to check mixture.

• XR6's_rule

Posted April 20, 2002 - 06:55 PM

There are different jetting specs for different models. For starters, the RF-RH models (85-87) ran dual carbs, so the jetting will be obviously different. 88-90 models ran a different shaped airbox-carb boot to the 91 onwards models, these models ran 60Pilot- 165Main jetting, which should be very close to spot on if all restrictors are removed and the engine is stock. The 91 on models had a 152 main & 62 pilot jets stock, but on my 94 model (stock engine) I ran a 155 main and had the airscrew 2.5 turns out which was closer to the mark. With all models, if you experience popping or missing on a slightly open throttle down hills, your needle could be worn and if so, you can fix this by dropping it one clip position (second counted from top). The middle (third) clip position is standard.
GOOD LUCK!! :)

• rb

Posted April 21, 2002 - 02:12 AM

sorry forgot to mention yr is 1997. thanks for reply from australia.wow i bet you have got great places to ride other there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr_rider

Posted April 22, 2002 - 02:45 AM

RB, I have a very similar set up on my '96. I am running 70/170. I installed those jets before I took off my WB E series pipe and re-installed the factory pipe with the hot tip. At first, I thought it might be too rich with the stock pipe but the bike runs great. It has more bottom end too. After each ride I pull the plug to get an idea of how the insides look and so far so good. I would start with a 68/165 and see how that goes.
Mike :)

• rb

Posted April 22, 2002 - 06:14 AM

thanks a lot xr rider member 8553 for your help. will try 68/165 as you suggest and let you know how i get on.70/170 does sound big could it be that our fuel is different ie in uk . thanks again and keep on thumping.

• xr_rider

Posted April 22, 2002 - 06:23 AM

RB, not too sure about the fuel. I would guess octane is octane however, California refineries do oxygenate their fuels for emission requirements.Good luck
Mike :)

• rb

Posted April 25, 2002 - 01:01 AM

thanks mike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.