Which Oil?

4 replies to this topic
  • loufish

Posted April 19, 2002 - 08:11 PM

I'll be running Hondas HP4 in my 650r until I feel it's broken in, then switching to a synthetic. I was thinking about Mobil 1 for 4 strokes, does anyone have ideas on a good synthetic oil?

• maui

Posted April 21, 2002 - 08:19 AM

If you skip over to the crf450 forum you can find out more about oil than you want to know. There is a post with links right now. Yes the mobil 1 is the best synthetic and I will never buy [motorcycle oil] again. Its a total rip and cant compare to mobil one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 10SE_Michael

Posted April 22, 2002 - 02:37 AM

I started using Castrol GTX on my last bike, XR250R, instead of the similar Honda product, HP4 I think. In the test GTX came out ahead too.

link to oil test

• COrider

Posted April 23, 2002 - 12:27 PM

Mobile 1 works great. I have been using it for about 5 years trouble free. I know two people + me who will never touch castrol again. All three of us put it in our bikes and had the bike smoking within 50 -100 miles. Ring job fixed the problem, but I will never touch the stuff again. I have no idea what happened, or if the oil was even to blame.

• loufish

Posted April 23, 2002 - 06:42 PM

Took a trip over to the crf450 forum, checked out the article on oils. I didn't know that Hondas HP4 was a synthetic blend(which is good) I have used Castrol before in other engines, and had real good results, so now I'm more confused....I guess using any top oil will be fine, as long as the oil changes come often.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.