THOUGHTS ON 2 TRAC?

21 replies to this topic
  • DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted October 01, 2004 - 12:44 PM

Curious to see what other WR owners intitial thoughts are on having a 2WD WR.

Personally where I ride it would be very useful. The terrain changes so much in 1 mile that it can be quite a beotch. Clay, hardpack, sand, mud, rock, gravel all in one shot. I'm always looking for way to get more traction.

I read in the Yamaha design cafe that it only delivers a max of 15% power to the front wheel. That makes me a little suspicious. That's not much power put up front, but I'm sure it would make a difference. :cry:

Any other input?

Do any of you Canadians have access to this bike yet?

• Eric_F

Posted October 01, 2004 - 01:08 PM

I can see how it would prevent the front wheel from sliding out, but I don't think it's worth the money. I wonder how much weight it adds as well... :cry:

• chipwich

Posted October 01, 2004 - 01:22 PM

Hard to say without a test ride, but my main want is less weight. I have ridden my WR back to back with my friend's CRF450 a few times, and the only thing that the WR gives to the CRF is weight. Those 30 or 40 lbs. can be felt anytime the bike gets airborne.

This makes me think a 255 dry CFRX might not hold up that well against a WR.

What I wish that Yamaha would do rather than 2 wheel drive and aluminum frame is jump right to a carbon fiber frame. Trek sold a massive amount of carbon bicycle frames this year, making the price drop substantially. A motorcycle frame made of carbon fiber would not be that hard to do for the manufacturing giants of Japan and now Austria. My carbon Trek is more forgiving and comfortable than my aluminum Canondale.

Carbon fiber is the bomb. The composite material can easily be varied to very stiffness and strength according to the designer's goals.

A sub 220 lb WR450 would be the Holy Grail for me, and then maybe work on 2 wheel drive. :cry:

• wildo

Posted October 01, 2004 - 01:58 PM

they say that it doesn't slide at all when turning in sand. no standing up with weight on the outside peg. no goghing on the gas all the time. it clibms dunes like nouthing else. I bet it will make it trou some hella ruts to. I want one.

• Frostbite

Posted October 01, 2004 - 04:53 PM

It's a no-brainer for me, I need one! :cry: I just hope that the hydraulic fluid is available in -20W-50. :cry:
Posted Image

• ttr125smms120

Posted October 01, 2004 - 05:03 PM

i think it would be sweet, but i'd miss going in the mud and sliding the back end out like a flat-tracker. other than that, it would probably climb like a tractor and never lose traction. it would be great 90% of the time

• KEVXR416

Posted October 01, 2004 - 05:09 PM

i think the new issue of dirt rider or dirt bike talks about it :cry: cant remember, but i do remember asking price $18,000 woooooow :cry:

• spiceboy

Posted October 01, 2004 - 11:31 PM

Something I read was that it's very difficult to wheelie, as the front is 'grabbing' the ground. That could be a problem when you need to haul it up to clear obstacles such as logs. They do hook up tho', the journalist claimed the bike shot forward so quickly out of sloppy bog that he damn near fell of the back! :cry:
I'd buy one, but not for a few years yet!!

...will they be legal in competitions??

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted October 02, 2004 - 07:10 AM

Yeah man, you NEED it. I don't even know where Nunavut is? Alaska I'm guessing? I live in Northern Wisconsin, and I have to deal with the cold and snow too, just not to your extent. I got a set of picked tires last winter and had a blast. It's crazy how those things bite on the ice, I had some weird looks from snowmobilers as I zipped past them.

The 2trac on snow would be awesome. But holy crap $18,000! :cry: I would have to assume that it's insanely expensive because of the Ohlins shock and fork. Those little monkeys are a couple grand by themselves. $18,000 could score me a new V-rod AND a new WR. :cry:

Still the thought of having a 2WD kept me awake the other night thinking of the possibilities. I'm just hoping the bike makes it to the states. We're always kind of on the back burner for new cool stuff coming out. :cry:

• SteadyEddy

Posted October 02, 2004 - 01:27 PM

I say bring it on, :cry:
The revolution of dirtbikes is about to happen, the only problem is that you need to be well off to afford it. There was only 20 or 25 released here in Australia, retail price was $25,000 aus dollars

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tybmx2006

Posted October 15, 2004 - 06:12 PM

i remember reading somewhere in dirt-rider i think. It said that they had the 2-Trac in an enduro and for the first day or so, it was winning, until the huge 600cc BMW bikes flew by it. I think that the T-trac is nice, but it is not unbeatable because it is 2-wheel drive. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 15, 2004 - 06:48 PM

i think its a great idea but was wondering why they just don't make the rear hydro drive as well? just make 1st super low and 5th super high and you would eliminate the need for gearing changes,the hydro drive would make it easier to space the gears farther apart. the weight diff would probly wash(chain and sprockets are pretty heavy) just use a larger hydro pump,it may rob a little more hp but theres plenty of that to go round anyhow!

• Racing227

Posted October 15, 2004 - 06:49 PM

For myself, weight is a big issue. For a trail ride or a enduro, i wont change my bike for nothing else. But for Enduro-cross ( cross-country in US ) 2hr30 in tight wood with a 245 lbs ( dry ) bike :lol: You may be in very good shape to follow a 250 2 stroke :cry: For the 2 Trac, maybe the add of traction to the front wheel can make the extra weight unnoticed :cry: But for riding in Quebec, this sill be the bike to ride :cry: I' m just affraid of the price :cry: In the 25 000$ for sure :lol:

For wheelie: Dirt Rider said " Yes, it' s still wheelie off the throttle easily " :cry:

So, save some money friend and maybe in 5 or 6 years and we will be able to buy i used one :lol:

• AkRider

Posted October 15, 2004 - 10:00 PM

Dirt Rider said it weighed 19lbs more then a standard WR450 and that the price would probally drop when they (if they) go in to mass production. :cry: I want one

• live_to_ride

Posted October 16, 2004 - 07:38 PM

Yup. The article said that price was for the first 25 made, and they're all going to australia for some reason. :cry:

• SteadyEddy

Posted October 17, 2004 - 02:48 AM

Yup. The article said that price was for the first 25 made, and they're all going to australia for some reason. :cry:

Because we aussies do it better :cry:

• simch

Posted October 18, 2004 - 03:49 AM

......or maybe you do it worse, so need more help...??? :cry:

No, there are a few of these in the UK too! (we must have pirate raided the ship en route to Oz!)

I reckon this will take off, and find its way to Moto GP and road bikes soon, too!?

• ncmountainman

Posted October 18, 2004 - 07:23 AM

we're off to see the wizard..... :cry:

• SteadyEddy

Posted October 18, 2004 - 01:29 PM

......or maybe you do it worse, so need more help...??? :cry:

No, there are a few of these in the UK too! (we must have pirate raided the ship en route to Oz!)

I reckon this will take off, and find its way to Moto GP and road bikes soon, too!?

lol, :cry:
Yeah, you might be right, It would make a great hill climbing learners bike

I saw pictures of the R1 they were testing it on, looked cool

• Racing227

Posted October 22, 2004 - 05:50 AM

Thoughts on 2 Trac ?????? Follow the link below and notice the #101, It' s David Frétigné on a WR 450 2 Trac. Check how easily he pass in the rock :cry:
http://www.toolendur...deo/mauriac.wmv

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.