Linkage Lube

4 replies to this topic
  • Thumper38

Posted October 01, 2004 - 09:23 AM

Does everyone still lube the linkage on there new ones? I always do but I heard that the new bearing are sealed! also what is that rubber/plastic stuff on the bearings? :cry:

• R_Little

Posted October 01, 2004 - 09:41 AM

Yes! remove the swingarm and clean and regrease all bearings, especially the outer swingarm bearings every 4 months or so.

Yamaha still puts that "plastic" grease in the linkage bearings. You can remove it or just clean and wipe a bit of new grease over the plastic. I take the plastic out once it starts looking raggy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted October 01, 2004 - 10:17 AM

I removed the plasctic and I use Maxima water proof grease. It seems to work very well.

• jerryls

Posted October 01, 2004 - 01:59 PM

Do it! I was at a race a couple weeks ago and tried out a friend's WR. His rear suspension was beautifully plush, as compared to mine, which felt like sitting on a brick. Went home and tore apart my linkage and slathered it in waterproof grease. Didn't mess with the "swiss cheese" permalube stuff inside the bearings, just put lots of grease everywhere. Whole process took around 1.5 hours.

Took the bike out the next day and it rides like a dream. Just pissed that I didn't do it sooner.

• wrooster

Posted October 06, 2004 - 07:13 AM

Does everyone still lube the linkage on there new ones? I always do but I heard that the new bearing are sealed! also what is that rubber/plastic stuff on the bearings? :cry:

from the 250F FAQ index page,
http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

see the YZF / WRF SWINGARM LINKAGE GREASING HOWTO:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.