Supermotard Project Review

20 replies to this topic
  • quickbrit2

Posted April 16, 2002 - 12:22 PM

For those interested in Supermotard I've almost finshed an XR-R at:

http://www.2wf.com/a...2B555BF2A0F.asp

I've added a Scotts Damper and an HRC kit too and I intend to do additional full photo review's showing the installation of those two items.

BTW, I'll also be doing a full Dyno run with jetting tips to aid you guys looking for maximum beans.

Thanks,
MikeE
www.2wf.com

• TT650R

Posted April 16, 2002 - 07:37 PM

Good artical, lots of food for thought...Is that header pipe a HRC item or custom made?Also is splitting the cases required for the upgrade?My bike's never been near the dirt(sorry people)and is coming up a bit short in the top end dept. and I'm on the highway alot,I think I've gone as far as possible with typical upgrades and I'm going to have to do it (I guess a bigger gas tank too)Would appreciate any input or gripes.....Thanks

• Bolts16

Posted April 17, 2002 - 06:20 AM

Holy $%&# Batman!!! MikeE, Awesome Bike!!! I've been kicking around the notion of buying a KTM Duke as I love the style. Super Moto style hasn't quite caught on in the States, for the most part. I definitely been watering at the mouth for a different bike from all others. The XR you put together nails it. My friend is setting up his newly purchased DRZ400s SM style. We love the style and looks. Not to mention the fact of blowing by those sport bikes on the short twisty stuff. What would be interesting to know is if BBS wheels makes a rim for bikes other than the Duke. Do you or anyone else know? I have a feeling it's just a one-off for KTM. Anyhow, great bike...and a great web site.

Scott :) :D

• quickbrit2

Posted April 17, 2002 - 08:30 AM

The header is actually part of the full Arrow system. From speaking with Honda the stocker is apparently very efficient, this is lighter though.

• Mikaberg

Posted April 19, 2002 - 05:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bolts16:
[QB]Holy $%&# Batman!!! MikeE, Awesome Bike!!! I've been kicking around the notion of buying a KTM Duke as I love the style.

Why not the KTM supermoto ? Is less money and 30 lbs lighter than the Duke. Also might want to look at the MZ Black Panther/ Street Motos .

• nakedtls

Posted April 20, 2002 - 03:07 PM

Mike-two of my friends just bought ktm supermotos. I know you've had a grey one and a xr600 and now the 650. My friend is doing the ackro full race system and keihn and air box. Feels he'll have right at 65rwhp(ktm supermoto). I'll be trailering mine to the local track and local mountains so city driving is not a concern. Which would you chose-ktm or 650r. As a side note the Husaberg fs 650 c is a contender also if I can get one.

• Guest__*

Posted April 20, 2002 - 04:57 PM

I've have a 02 FS650 E for sale. It is brand new. Call me for $$'S. dirtbikes4sale@hotmail.com

Zach

• Guest__*

Posted April 20, 2002 - 04:58 PM

I'm also building some CRF450 Motard's that should be affordable for most people. I should have the first one finished at the end of the Month.

Zach

• quickbrit2

Posted April 21, 2002 - 04:13 PM

Speaking from experience, your friends should see around 55 bhp (Carb and exhaust).

I feel that the XR is putting out mid to late 50's at the moment. I've yet to dial the jetting in properly yet, which should yield a couple more.

The XR is (to me) better than my old KTM, it's definately faster and lighter to boot.

I've recently added a SRC fork brace which saw the handling go from OK, to truly spectacular bordering on perfect. I had a ding dong today with a SV650 and I spanked it royally.

I'm very happy with the Honda, and I know I have more to come should I want to pursue more beans. One last thing in it's favor? It's a Honda, cheap to look after, cheap to fix and cheap to buy.

MikeE

Originally posted by nakedtls:
Mike-two of my friends just bought ktm supermotos. I know you've had a grey one and a xr600 and now the 650. My friend is doing the ackro full race system and keihn and air box. Feels he'll have right at 65rwhp(ktm supermoto). I'll be trailering mine to the local track and local mountains so city driving is not a concern. Which would you chose-ktm or 650r. As a side note the Husaberg fs 650 c is a contender also if I can get one.

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: quickbrit2 ]

• Jamo

Posted April 21, 2002 - 04:22 PM

Originally posted by quickbrit2:
I had a ding dong today with a SV650 and I spanked it royally.

Whats a ding dong ? a race ? I doubt you would beat an sv on the road....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TT650R

Posted April 21, 2002 - 05:05 PM

Given similar rider skill,and as long as the road is twisty I'd bet the farm on the XR....

• Bolts16

Posted April 21, 2002 - 05:13 PM

[Why not the KTM supermoto ? Is less money and 30 lbs lighter than the Duke. Also might want to look at the MZ Black Panther/ Street Motos]

I did give the Supermoto a look but I prefered the Duke. I really liked the looks with the dual pipes and the BBS rims. I also heard it cranks out a few more ponies than the Supermoto (but I could be wrong). As for weight, I thought both bikes were listed at 319 lbs. dry (again, I could be wrong). The few people I talked to who own Dukes' said once you ride it, you won't want the Supermoto. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. That's why I really like the looks of MikeE's XR-R. Very Hot!!! And I'm sure it turns the back tire, raises the front tire, and is an all-out blast to ride. And it's different, too...not many SM-style XR650R's on the road...or KTM Dukes, for that matter. But like I said, it's personal preference. And a good point MikeE made; parts are easier to come buy for the XR and usually cheaper, too.

I know I mentioned this in my other reply above, but I'll ask again...Does anyone know if the BBS wheels on the Duke are available for other bikes (or is it a one-off production for KTM)??? Thanks.

• nakedtls

Posted April 21, 2002 - 05:14 PM

Duh, anyone who's ridden twisty roads knows that. I left a very cool, tl1000s, streetfighter at home most of last summer cause my 90 xr600 with street tires was more fun.

• TT650R

Posted April 21, 2002 - 06:10 PM

Obviosly everybody DOES NOT know or I would not have have posted my opinion on the matter(see post above mine)And you can cram your "Duh" comment..Seems like some people can't feel alive without being a smarta#!...Then again maybe thats how you start all your sentences...

• quickbrit2

Posted April 22, 2002 - 04:27 AM

Sorry, Brit-speak... A ding dong is battle royale.

Yes, I whooped the SV. We swapped rides and I couldn't stay with the XR-RR either - especially around the twisties.

The XR has a confidence inspiring front end now.

MikeE

Whats a ding dong ? a race ? I doubt you would beat an sv on the road....
[/QUOTE]

• nakedtls

Posted April 22, 2002 - 03:07 PM

Mike--in a drag race against the sv, with equal riders and talent and weight, would the xr win or lose.....just trying to gage how much juice the motard has.

• quickbrit2

Posted April 23, 2002 - 02:47 AM

I'm going to the Drag strip Friday...

Stock XR ran 13.9 - 1/4 mile

I'll let you know what the new times are.

MikeE

• Bolts16

Posted April 23, 2002 - 02:38 PM

Well, just thought I would pass this along. My friend just finished turning his DRZ400s into a SM. Guys, this thing is AWESOME!!! I actually feel privilaged because I rode it before he did as his dog took a chomp out of his throttle hand (poor bastard)!!! This bike kicks arse!!! I can only imagine what that XR-RR of MikeE's does. I will snap off a couple of pics for all of you and post them. Granted, it's not a Honda but the bike does tear it up. Heck, I almost bought the damn farm as I was having too much fun on it!!!

MikeE, I do believe a good "Ding Dong" is at hand. And seeing that my friend can't ride his DRZ, I'm gonna poach his bike and let the arse fly out of it. If I read correctly, it appears you live in Florida. I'm over in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Any other SM riders are more than welcome. And I know this Britsh Pub on Clearwater Beach that serves up some good ale.

Until then, kick that rear out and cross them bars...and when that guy on the R6, F4, Gixxer600, etc. looks at you just keep grinn' and twistin' that throttle!!!! Oh, and don't forget to give him a wave "Good bye.!!!"

• OMEGA

Posted April 23, 2002 - 05:55 PM

Hey mike, my buddy Dan is the guy who bought your old LC4, I'm very interested in your final dyno numbers on the XR.
I'm leaning toward a berg right now but we all know the advantages of the big XR, great project and as always awesome site!
Drew

• nakedtls

Posted April 23, 2002 - 07:07 PM

Come on Mike, give up the #'s!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.