Shifting without the Clutch!?

5 replies to this topic
  • Eric_F

Posted September 30, 2004 - 09:23 PM

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but will this hurt my '02 WR? I've been watching the semics vids, and I NEVER see them use the clutch. It would also seem it is faster. Maybe that's just me.

• RichBaker

Posted September 30, 2004 - 09:47 PM

I do it all the time, but then, I don't have a clutch lever, I went Rekluse..... :cry: :cry:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted September 30, 2004 - 10:23 PM

I shift without the clutch lever all the time. No problems yet.

Just make sure you let off the throttle when you shift, and look for the "sweet spot" in your rpms. Basically if you shift at the right spot in your rpm range, the shift will be silky smooth.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chevy_Cowboy

Posted September 30, 2004 - 11:45 PM

there was a pretty extensive thread about this in the offroad riding tech forum awhile back... General consensus was it wont hurt your bike if you do it right.

• Eric_F

Posted October 01, 2004 - 12:15 AM

OK, so by "Right" you mean not gassing it in the middle of the shift? So give it gas to the point of the shift, then let off, shift, then get back on it?

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted October 01, 2004 - 12:20 AM

OK, so by "Right" you mean not gassing it in the middle of the shift? So give it gas to the point of the shift, then let off, shift, then get back on it?

Yep, you've got it. Sometimes when downshifting without the clutch you'll need to blip the throttle just before the shift and then let off as you downshift.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.