Scott's Steering Dampener // XR650

15 replies to this topic
  • MtnDoo

Posted April 14, 2002 - 06:21 PM

Ok, I've installed the oil-bolt version of the Scotts' and it binds at full lock out to the right. I think I'm going to order the front-mount kit that wraps around the steering head for this dampener.

Has anyone else had this problem w/ the oil-bolt version? Or any perticular success w/ the front mount/steering head version?

Also - any notes on what settings have worked for woods/trail riding.

Thx!

MtnDoo.

• qadsan

Posted April 14, 2002 - 06:43 PM

I have the forward mount and the only problem I've had is when I was turned at full lock in one direction, the damper was stopping things from turning farther instead of the lower clamps coming in contact with the frame. I simply welded a thick bead on the frame at this point then shaped and painted it so it looks like it came that way from the factory. As far as settings go, it's super easy to adjust and what one person likes may not be good for the next. It won't take long for you to find what you like.

• MtnDoo

Posted April 14, 2002 - 07:09 PM

Hmm...sounds like a fix, but doesn't that restrict the rage (however slightly) of motion to that side?

MD.

• qadsan

Posted April 14, 2002 - 07:52 PM

Originally posted by MtnDoo:
Hmm...sounds like a fix, but doesn't that restrict the rage (however slightly) of motion to that side? MD.

Yes, but if you let the damper stop the range of motion, you'll be looking at an expensive non-warranty repair from Scotts. My range of motion is just slightly restricted (less than 1/8 inch) and nothing that concerns me. I know I'm certainly not the first person to have this happen and there's probably several others who have this issue and don't even know about it. It's not an issue unless you fall and the damper is slammed past its endpoint. The inconsistancy is with the bike frame stops and not the Scotts damper.

• YZ400Court

Posted April 15, 2002 - 04:54 AM

That seems to be common in the XR family. I drilled and tapped a hole in the triple clamp tang, then put in a small allen bolt to extend the stops on my friends 400. I dont' think the front mount will help, the range of motion is the same.

• terryhotshoe

Posted April 15, 2002 - 10:46 AM

I have the same problem not happy since they told me only a few dont line up!!They did send out another tower it helped alittle.For now I just super glued some weather stripping on the steering stops but it should have a small weld put on the steering stops,for the amount of money you pay for one, you would think the product would fit properly!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D

• MtnDoo

Posted April 15, 2002 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, they told me that it was a problem w/ the frame welds too on a small % of honda frames. Sure would be nice if there was more adjustment range in the post. I got the ball rolling to get the oil-bolt version traded out for a front mount version today. Hopefully it (1) won't take too long (2) if it does, it snows, so I can run the sled another week or 2.

L8R

MD.

• bhoth

Posted April 15, 2002 - 01:16 PM

I have the GPR Pro kit with front mount and it fits perfectly.

You all have just given me another reason for justifying the GPR over the Scotts!

Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MtnDoo

Posted April 15, 2002 - 05:34 PM

Thanks, Brian - that is REAL helpful!!!!

Let's see, should I have bought a Yami 426 to go with it?!

MtnDoo

• KFACTOR9

Posted April 15, 2002 - 05:50 PM

Originally posted by MtnDoo:
Ok, I've installed the oil-bolt version of the Scotts' and it binds at full lock out to the right. I think I'm going to order the front-mount kit that wraps around the steering head for this dampener.

Has anyone else had this problem w/ the oil-bolt version? Or any perticular success w/ the front mount/steering head version?

Also - any notes on what settings have worked for woods/trail riding.

Thx!

MtnDoo.

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: KFACTOR9 ]

• KFACTOR9

Posted April 15, 2002 - 05:58 PM

Originally posted by KFACTOR9:

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: KFACTOR9 ]

I am sorry to hear about all your problems with the scotts. one question. Did you adjust the internal limits that are built into the scotts? I have had 5 650s and I have had to adjust each one. Also if you want to put a baja designs kit on good luck using the front mount it sticks out to far. Out of 14 650s in my group the scotts adjust enough for all of them.

• quickbrit2

Posted April 16, 2002 - 12:18 PM

You need to adjust the right and left flat head screw on either side of the damper to set the sweep.

MikeE

• qadsan

Posted April 16, 2002 - 01:25 PM

Originally posted by quickbrit2:
You need to adjust the right and left flat head screw on either side of the damper to set the sweep. MikeE

Interesting! I wish Scotts would have told me this when I contacted them regarding this issue. I was told to either build up the weld, tap a small screw or affix a shim to the frame or lower fork clamp. I've already modified mine via welding which is fine, but I wish I would have known this trick before I went to all the trouble of building up the weld by a few mm's.

• ThumpinginTahoe

Posted April 16, 2002 - 02:24 PM

I have a gpr steering stabilizer on order. Are you telling me that it will not be compatable with my BAja designs kit with a front mount? I will be so bummed if I can't get it to work.

• sshrt_rider

Posted April 17, 2002 - 08:17 AM

I have a Scott's upper triple clamp, handlebar clamp, and oil bolt mount for sale. This setup has been on two XR650's. Both bikes did not have any motion range restrictions with these parts installed. Sorry I dont have any usefull suggestions for you folks havin trouble with these parts, just thought I would put my 2 cents in. If anyone is interested in purchasing these parts from me please send me a PM. I am asking $160.00 for all 3 peices.

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: sshrt rider ]

• MtnDoo

Posted May 19, 2002 - 09:25 PM

Well, some *OK* news..

I got the front mount kit today...will install it this week, but.... and a big but...

The front mount kit was 169.00!!!! vs. the 63.00 for the oil bolt version!

Sure hope this damn steering dampener is worth the 700.00 invested.

MtnDoo.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.