Another XR600 Jetting Question

4 replies to this topic
  • xr_rider

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:17 AM

Ok another new guy to the board with a similar question asked by XR David.
I have a ’96 XR600 with a Baja Designs dual sport kit on it. It has a WB E series exhaust with 12 disks installed and a K&N air filter. I am running a 165 main jet and I have opened the air- screw 2.5 turns yet it still runs lean. Before I go to a larger main (and pilot) I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing and what they did to fix it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
BTW, The bike is ridden in the So Cal deserts and local mountains.

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 04, 2002 - 05:38 PM

is it lean at idle or WOT?

with a header, gutted intake and airbox and supercrap with 8 disc on the stock carb, i was running a 70/168. With the cam I went up to a 170 or 172.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr_rider

Posted April 05, 2002 - 02:54 AM

Matt96XR6. Mainly at lower speeds. Based on the plug condition, exhaust popping and stalling at idle when the air was cold in the mountains (which I think would lean it out anyway). It would also pop when I decelerate or down shift. I just opened the air screw 3 full turns which may be too much, and took out 2 disks from the pipe as I mentioned. It’s running a 165 main but I don’t know what the pilot is yet. I’m taking it out for a ride today to see if the adjustments make a difference.

• Turner

Posted April 05, 2002 - 03:42 PM

I'm the same as Matt96xr6, I run a 70pj and the airscrew at 2 turns out. But I run a 170 main. Just me, the bike shouldn't pop when you let off, I have found that if they pop when you let off it's a lean pj.

• xr_rider

Posted April 06, 2002 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the info Turner.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.