WB Hot Tip for XR600R is a Big THUMBS UP

5 replies to this topic
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 02, 2002 - 05:53 PM

Went out for a scoot this evening at the local trail system. Just put about $400 worth of new parts on my bike including the Hot Tip. I had a Supertrapp and now realize how bad it really was. Now I have some major low to mid, nearly as much top, and above all it is super quiet. These things are only $55 and slip right into the stock pipe. Can't say enough good things about it. Keep our trails open longer, go stealth. Ryan :)

• xr_rider

Posted April 09, 2002 - 09:27 PM

Where did you pick that Hot Tip up at? White Brothers doesn't even show it on their website? :)

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 09, 2002 - 09:42 PM

Cheapest deals I have found are at www.rockymountainmc.com Ryan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wolfgang

Posted April 09, 2002 - 01:03 PM

Thanks again for the additional info. on the Hot Tip. I'm certainly going to give that a shot. Can the Hot Tip, and opening the airbox both be done with the stock carb. settings? Or is rejetting required? Another question, I noticed your using 13/48 gearing rather than the stock 15/45. Could you explain the advantages and disadvantages, if any, of doing this. Also I was reading somewhere about having problems with the chain guide wearing out by going with a larger rear sprocket. What did you use to compensate for this? Once again I really appreciate the help. Thanks, Mike

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 09, 2002 - 02:06 PM

First, I have an XR600R which has different gearing. Stock gears are 14/48, then I went to 13/50 which was a little to low, now I am at 13/48 which seems about right. To gear down (go slower) you can either go down a tooth on the front sprocket, or go up a few teeth on back. Going down one tooth in front is like going up three in back and is much cheaper. If you will be riding trails at all I would recommend 14/45 on your 650. You will gain better acceleration at the loss of top speed. Basically, your bike will be more rideable on tight trails off-road.

On the Hot Tip, you will have to rejet the stock carb, but there are plenty of XR gurus around this place to hook you up with the correct jetting. (I'm not one of them) Seems Ed Buratti is quite knowledgeable with the 650L. Hope this helps, Ryan

• Wolfgang

Posted April 09, 2002 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Ryan, you've been a big help. Mike

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.