does the XR650R overheat?

9 replies to this topic
  • radar_ridr

Posted April 02, 2002 - 02:31 PM

XR650R riders - have you had overheating problems, especially at slower speeds?

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 02, 2002 - 07:25 PM

Yes. :)

• crash650

Posted April 02, 2002 - 07:27 PM

two ways to help with the overheating. there is a higher pressure cap for the radiator something like a 1.7, where as the stock is a 1.1. second is to get an after market thermostat. the 650 likes a lot of air blowing in its face which helps keep it cool. but when trail riding its hard to keep the speed up to cool it down. i have found both parts together at my honda dealership for under $50. they also sell a high temp coolant.

• maui

Posted April 02, 2002 - 08:31 PM

I ride alot in hot weather, and my xr650r used to boil and loose all the coolant from the overflow tank while putting on slow trails.Other than this it ran really well so I always wondered why? The answer was that one of the exhaust valves was too tight right from the factory.Check your valves guys cause mine never boiled again. You wont probably need to subject your bike to a higher pressure radiator cap so give this a try first!

• mntnmissle

Posted April 03, 2002 - 03:49 AM

Uncork it, change the radiator cap to a 1:6, run water wetter and ride the crap out of it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • terryhotshoe

Posted April 03, 2002 - 05:30 AM

Some do some dont!!!! I have 3000 off road miles on mine, stock coolant, stock cap and stock thermo!! I ride in the desert high speed never had a problem period!!This bike is designed to be ridden fast so if you ride it on slow trails you would want to do those mods.Most of the time the over heating problems occure during the breakin period.If the bike is not jetted rt or valves are off it will over heat.all my friends have bone stock xrr s and have never had overheating problems!Just uncork and jet correctly and you should not have any problems. :)

• hourout

Posted April 03, 2002 - 04:23 PM

the only way i got mine to stop puking coolent was to install a high pressure thermo and rad cap. i went to www.srcinc.net for help. i ride hard on tight first gear east cost enduros and have been fine. :)

• bhoth

Posted April 04, 2002 - 11:52 AM

Unless you are over 5,000 feet in elevation make sure you moved the stock pilot jet from a 65s to the 68s.

It helps a ton.

• qadsan

Posted April 04, 2002 - 01:22 PM

Originally posted by terryhotshoe:
...stock coolant, stock cap and stock thermo!! I ride in the desert high speed never had a problem period!!...

I'm with you Terry. No boil over problems for me either (stock cap, coolant & thermostat), but I've only had my XR650R since November and have less than 1,000 miles on it.

• dan_Rekito

Posted April 14, 2002 - 03:45 AM

Http://www.srcinc.net
click on tech bulletins alot of cool info from a proffesional racer.
The heat tape mod especially.
Alchohol for metal prep and aluminum tape available from Home Depot for $7 dollars.
This will keep your fuel from getting to hot on slow trails and dissipate some heat to the bike's surroundings instead.
Highly recommended on XR650R and CRF450R.
It took under two hours to do on my450.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.