Setting Preload on an XR650R

4 replies to this topic
  • Big_D

Posted April 02, 2002 - 08:55 AM

Is there an easier way to set the spring preload on the shock of an XR650R? What I have found tells me that I need to remove the back half of the bike (seat, pipe, subframe, airbox, etc.) There has to be an easier way! Honda made EVERYTHING else on the bike so easy to get to and adjust, there has to be a better way. Thanks for the help.

• RedThunder

Posted April 02, 2002 - 01:11 PM

If you're lucky, you can just loosen the top ring, grab the spring with your hands, and turn spring. Worked on the XR600 I had.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • terryhotshoe

Posted April 02, 2002 - 01:12 PM

Get a long punch hit it with a hammer and turn the spring!!!!!Terry. :)

• radar_ridr

Posted April 02, 2002 - 02:03 PM

Yep, if you are lucky, you can use a long screwdriver and tap with a mallet to loosen the lock nut on top, then just turn the spring, and retighten the lock ring. HOWEVER, it seems Honda really torques things down at the factory. I hammered on that ring and it would not move and I did not want to hit it any harder. I had to pull the seat, exhaust, subframe (XR400) etc. This was not really too bad, less than a half hour. THEN, I used this crazy looking two-foot-long PIPE WRENCH (!) I found in the basement because I don't have the special "spanner" and that baby still took a real strong tug to get the locknut loose. Then the spring turned easily for adjustment. Of course I did not tighten the locknut as much so now I can adjust it with just the screwdriver and mallet method. So the subframe removal should just be a one-time job.

• Big_D

Posted April 03, 2002 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for all of the advise I guess I just have to grin :) and deal with it. Thankfully once you have the preload set you do not have to monkey with it much.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.