(Warning) Honda OEM parts warranty

41 replies to this topic
  • CrackiN

Posted September 28, 2004 - 07:58 PM

If you are thinking about buying Honda OEM parts instead of aftermarket, you might want to think again....I had a stator installed by an unauthrized dealer and the stator failed.....There were signs of heat on the sleeve that covers the wiring that is outside the case and the dealership (Pasadena Honda)that I bought it from claimed that the wires had been pinched during installation which shorted out the stator and the part warranty was now void....That was not the case....The wires were not pinched but that is the story the dealership(Pasadena Honda)told the factory and now I am out $350.00+...I have found that proving a dealership wrong is like trying to prove your wife wrong....It never works and the sad part is Honda won't even consider the other side of the story....Aftermarket is less than half the cost of OEM from Honda....I can buy 2 aftermarket stators with 1 yr warranty for less than the cost of Honda's OEM that has no warranty, and small shops charge half the amount dealerships do....My only mistake here was buying a Honda OEM part in the first place.....
Just a little story I thought I would share....In my opinion you are better off dealing with the smaller shops that need your business to survive....Honda evidentally doesn't.

• malevolent73

Posted September 28, 2004 - 10:24 PM

sad but true! :cry: :cry:

• HeadTrauma

Posted September 28, 2004 - 10:27 PM

Funny, the dealer here that doesnt need my money acts like they do, while the small shop down the road couldnt care less about me as a customer....unless I want something expensive like one of their overpriced used bikes.

Anyway, I know where you're coming from. Thats why I always get parts and install myself. At least you have a stator core you can disassemble and rewrap yourself for about $30.

• HondaXR650R

Posted September 29, 2004 - 05:37 AM

...The wires were not pinched but that is the story the dealership(Pasadena Honda)told the factory and now I am out $350.00+...

:mad:I would call the police. That's illegal business practice! :cry:

• Mainjet2001

Posted September 29, 2004 - 05:43 AM

Sorry CrackiN.....
You need to deal with the core problem.
You have it installed by an unauthorized dealer and it fails and you blame it on the OEM part and Honda.
Something is funny here. :cry:

I'm on my 5th Honda 4 stroke since 83 and have used mostly OEM parts all along and have yet to have a problem and I ride a lot. No, they are not all OEM parts but most of them are.

American Honda and the OEM part is not the real problem in your case.

• mikekay

Posted September 29, 2004 - 03:20 PM

...for sure it couldnt be that Honda was at fault...Honda is Perfect in Every Way...gimme a break...hows your XR 650R OEM thermostat? ITS DEFECTIVE. Hows your footpeg mount? FALL OFF YET? hows your CRF250X intake valve? FAIL YET? They are also defective. LOTS OF HONDA OEM PARTS ARE HORRIBLE.

I thought TT prohibited industry people from getting on here and spreading their lies...

send me a PM and thank me for not exposing who you are.

:cry:

• Rokatt88

Posted September 29, 2004 - 04:19 PM

:lol:Feels like "Iron Dude" around here! :cry:

• Dutch

Posted September 29, 2004 - 04:58 PM

W.C.Fields said it best, "Never smartin up a chump"

• Mainjet2001

Posted September 29, 2004 - 06:13 PM

...for sure it couldnt be that Honda was at fault...Honda is Perfect in Every Way...gimme a break...hows your XR 650R OEM thermostat? ITS DEFECTIVE. Hows your footpeg mount? FALL OFF YET? hows your CRF250X intake valve? FAIL YET? They are also defective. LOTS OF HONDA OEM PARTS ARE HORRIBLE.

I thought TT prohibited industry people from getting on here and spreading their lies...

send me a PM and thank me for not exposing who you are.

:cry:

You talking to me Mike?
And if so, is that a threat?

• CrackiN

Posted September 29, 2004 - 07:36 PM

Sorry CrackiN.....
You need to deal with the core problem.
You have it installed by an unauthorized dealer and it fails and you blame it on the OEM part and Honda.
Something is funny here. :cry:

I'm on my 5th Honda 4 stroke since 83 and have used mostly OEM parts all along and have yet to have a problem and I ride a lot. No, they are not all OEM parts but most of them are.

American Honda and the OEM part is not the real problem in your case.

The core problem is 2 fold here....The cause of the failure was not pinched wires....The part failed on a long highway run seemily from the heat that the four stroke puts out....As far as I can tell there are no specificatioins as to how much heat the stator can or can't take....Therefore was it excessive heat or did the part fail due to normal high range operating temperatures? Honda chose to do the same thing you are doing Mainjet2001, Blame me and take the easy way out....And my part meets all of the criterior for warranteed replacement as spelled out by Honda....But....You have the right to your own opinion....I hope it never happens to you....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted September 29, 2004 - 08:04 PM

Didn't sound like a threat but, then again I don't know how you are.......Where is IronDude when you need him? I tell you this is the time we need a big stir stick gremlin stirring a big pot...... :cry: man the old Irondude could really make a post hot and worth reading....where oh where has the Irondude gone...where oh where has he gone :cry: He might just be leaking out here and there :cry:

Man, I am bad :lol: come on can't we all get along? :cry:
I haven't figured out how some of the things that brake on the bikes that could cause major pain or death, never get fixed and Honda doesn't get sued! :lol: If something that can cause a wreck like the peg falling off was known on a car it would be called back and every one fixed. :lol: But, bikes can be pumped out with bad parts and everyone is happy :cry: Remmington got sued for having put barrels on there shot guns that worked perfect till you put the wrong shell in the gun (3" Magnum in a 2 3/4" chamber; made years ago but, sued lately) and that isn't there fault but, Honda knows about this stuff and doesn't fix it...it's always the riders fault he must have done something wrong, road to hard or didn't do the maintanance right. Sooner or latter this will change and it might just make the bikes to expensive to buy :lol: Posted Image Not bike related but, was caused by something I couldn't control....stuff happed but, it really stink when it could have been stopped by someone that new about it. The foot peg is just a trap is the point. Honda cound fit it.

• Mainjet2001

Posted September 29, 2004 - 08:58 PM

The core problem is 2 fold here....The cause of the failure was not pinched wires....The part failed on a long highway run seemily from the heat that the four stroke puts out....As far as I can tell there are no specificatioins as to how much heat the stator can or can't take....Therefore was it excessive heat or did the part fail due to normal high range operating temperatures? Honda chose to do the same thing you are doing Mainjet2001, Blame me and take the easy way out....And my part meets all of the criterior for warranteed replacement as spelled out by Honda....But....You have the right to your own opinion....I hope it never happens to you....

CrackiN….
First of all I do not blame you and did not say that. What I said was the stator was installed by an unauthorized dealer. Then, I presume Pasadena Honda (an authorized dealer) after it failed, said it was pinched wires. Your argument is with Pasadena Honda, the dealer.
Was the part defective, maybe so, but if a unauthorized dealer installed it, and a authorized dealer said the installation was defective, you are dead in the water.
It’s no different than you blowing your Ford trans and going to the dealer and getting a new one and installing it yourself, driving it down the street and blowing it up, then calling Ford and they ask who installed it and you say I did and they ask are you the authorized dealer and you
say no, guess what?

I also hope it never happens to me but if it did I would fix it my self or have an authorized dealer do it.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted September 29, 2004 - 11:19 PM

I see both sides of this one but agree with Mainjet2001. How does Pas.Honda know you didn't install it yourself after you had a few beers in the garage (don't take that personally, it's just a scenario) and now you want a new one.
Maybe you're right that the wires weren't pinched but now you're kinda hosed.
Your profile sez your bike is an '86 600. Weren't the 600 stators more prone to failure than, say, 650Rs?

And God knows we DO NOT want that IronDude back on TT, ever.

"CrackiN" - I think I have a 600 stator in the garage you can have (NC) but only if MikeK promises to relax.

• CrackiN

Posted September 30, 2004 - 05:35 AM

I would tend to agree with you BajaBoundMoto if the stator installation was some what complicated...Fact is after watching them pull the failed stator out, I kinda felt foolish because I didn't do the install myself....You pull the left side case, take off 3 bolts and reverse the process...Not exactly rocket science...It is impossible to screw up the install or pinch the wires in the process....I appreciate the offer BajaBoundMoto but I have a new one coming from Ricky Stator....It has a 1 yr warranty and it cost $247.00 less than ordering it from Honda....

• PowerCell

Posted September 30, 2004 - 07:46 AM

I guess I'm missing something here... what ever happend to "No return on Electrical Parts"? If you bought a new ingnition module and it stopped working a week later, guess what?... you get to buy another one. That's the nature of the beast. It's just too easy for an incompetant mechanic to fry electronics.

I also want to know why you would buy your parts from the dealer and then take them to an independant shop? Sounds alot like bringing your own steak into the restaraunt.

Perhaps you were just trying to save as much money as possible. But whenever you do something like this, you have to take responsability for any problems that occur.

Suck it up, buy a new stator, and consider this a great lesson of life. Just be glad it was only a stator and not a new roof on your house... trying to save a couple of bucks like this... it could be much worse.

Good Luck! :cry:

~ Ken

• CrackiN

Posted September 30, 2004 - 12:17 PM

I guess I'm missing something here... what ever happend to "No return on Electrical Parts"? If you bought a new module and it stopped working a week later, guess what?... you get to buy another one. That's the nature of the beast. It's just too easy for an incompetant mechanic to fry electronics.

I also want to know why you would buy your parts from the dealer and then take them to an independant shop? Sounds alot like bringing your own steak into the .

Perhaps you were just trying to save as much money as possible. But whenever you do something like this, you have to take responsability for any problems that occur.

Suck it up, buy a new stator, and consider this a great lesson of life. Just be glad it was only a stator and not a new roof on your house... trying to save a couple of bucks like this... it could be much worse.

Good Luck! :cry:

~ Ken

First off if you had read any of the preceeding posts you would have know that the mechanic didn't fry anything....Secondly ...No...I wasn't trying to save money....I actually spent $250+ more than I should have to get the part sooner....Thirdly...I didn't buy an ignition module....Fourly...There are guaranties on electrical parts these days but, you are more than welcome to ignorantly replace your's at your cost(talk about incompetance)...
I am not quite sure how you came to the conclusions that you did but, maybe next time you should get your facts straight before handing out poor advice and spewing out opinions based on your own imagination....

Wishing you a quick recovery

• PowerCell

Posted September 30, 2004 - 12:45 PM

Bitta' Baby!!! You sure put me in my place...

It's times like this that I wish I knew something about them thar motorcycles... :cry:

Yeh, I hate Honda too... never could build a decent bike. Always breakin' down, pissin' off their customers.

That's how Honda got their reputation for un-reliability... sheesh... :cry:

That whole Baja streak... they just got lucky.

~ Ken

• CrackiN

Posted September 30, 2004 - 01:04 PM

Bet Honda replaced all the failed parts on the "Baja Streak" for FREE..No questions asked....What year was it that you owned a Honda? :cry:

It's times like this that I wish I knew something about them thar motorcycles...
Yeh, I hate Honda too... never could build a decent bike. Always breakin' down, pissin' off their customers. :cry:

My wife use to change the subject too when she was wrong....Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.... :cry:

Oh...BTW Here is Honda's web site....

http://www.careerbui...a_Motor_Company

Maybe they will send you a sticker for being such a loyal supporter....Maybe not!

• CrackiN

Posted September 30, 2004 - 01:14 PM

Hey Red -

Believe it or not, I just bought my 6th Husaberg Yesterday (2004 FE650e). Like I once said in one of my waaaaay too long threads, a 'berg is like heroin; when it's running... there's nothing like it. But when they let go... well, it can get ugly fast.

The problem is, once you've spent quality time on a 'berg, everything else feels slow and lethargic. I've owned 50 or 60 bikes in my life. And for the most part they've all been good bikes. But the 'bergs are just different. If they can get past the quality control issues. And if they can get past the distribution and dealer network issues. I would consider Husaberg to be the finest off-road bike ever made. And that's saying a lot... considering my experience with them.

I guess I just like the abuse...

And you have the nerve to open your mouth...What a hipocrit :cry:

• PowerCell

Posted September 30, 2004 - 01:24 PM

You need to step away from the pipe, Crackin'!!!

You did somethin' stupid, and now you come on here to tell the world just how cheap you are. Remember, this is YOUR THREAD. You started it. By dissin' Honda NA and Pasadena Honda you're not gonna make a lot of friends. Both organizations are well run and have a fine reputation.

I've owned a ton of bikes through the years, and sure, some of 'em were Honda's. But if you think that just because somebody believes Honda builds a great product, they must be on the company payroll, you're freakin' high fool!!!

Look, I ride Husabergs. And anybody who knows 'bergs will tell you, if theirs a reason to snivel about warranties, it would be a 'berg owner. But I'm not gonna start trashing the company over it. For every stator you buy, I'll buy 3... :cry:

So once again, suck it up and stop your snivelin'... you're gettin my keyboard wet... :cry:

~ Ken

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.