What lube for new X-ring???

12 replies to this topic
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 01, 2002 - 08:59 AM

I just got a new DID X-Ring and am curious as to what lube to use. I was using Maxima Chain Guard on my heavy duty conventional chain, but it was long gone by the end of our 50+ mile, muddy loops. My buddy uses 80W90 gear oil on his Regina and it was mentioned on my box too. I have used gear oil before with conventionals and was satisfied. Will the gear oil harm the rings? What about fling off? The Maxima seems to be really good stuff if I could apply it while riding too. Thoughts? :) Ryan

• terryhotshoe

Posted April 01, 2002 - 02:06 PM

Well ryan I used maxima chain wax on my old xr600 for 5 years now that I have a xr650r I use the same stuff.Been riding the new bike all year off road about 3000 hard off road miles,just bought the same chain as you but not quite ready to put it on yet!!I live across the street from the great pacific and after washing chain in kerosine I apply 90 weight untill I break the bike out to ride.Just before I take it out to the desert I wipe the chain real good and try and get most of the 90wt off.After I clean the 90wt off I spray the chain with maxima chain wax.If you just run the 90wt it will throw off and collect alot of dust.I had a problem with rust with the chain wax thats why I coat the chain with 90wt while it sits near the ocean.I think the most important issue is to just use kerosine when cleaning your new chain!!!Most any chain lube designed for o rings will work and im sure other tt ers have there favorite chain lube,but this has worked for me good luck Terry. :)

• Dutch

Posted April 01, 2002 - 02:10 PM

You can't lube sealed chains. the O-rings,(or X-rings), seal the lube inside the chain. The best way to service them is to clean them with a rag soaked in kerosene, then follow up with a rag with WD-40 sprayed on it. Don't spray the WD-40 directly on the chain and whatever you do don't power wash the chain! I used an X-ring chain a few years ago and it still looked great after 15,000 mi.

• RedThunder

Posted April 01, 2002 - 03:41 PM

I just use WD40 on my O-Ring chain. If you want to use chain lube, get some Bel-Ray Super Clean. Almost no fling off, works good.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 01, 2002 - 04:58 PM

I thought WD40 was hard on O-rings??? I used the Chain Wax and thought it was horrible. I hated the gooey mess it left. Try the Chain Guard, it is superior in my opinion. If WD40 does not harm O-rings I will use that, if not Chain Guard will be the choice. However, WD40 is soooooo much cheaper. Let me know what you have heard about WD40/O-rings. Thanks in advance, Ryan

• 85350x

Posted April 01, 2002 - 10:03 PM

The problem with wd-40 is that it attacks and deteriorates grease, and the 0/X rings while they can keep the grease/ lube inside the chain, and they keep dirt out, WD-40 is meant to penatrate and will get past the 0-rings and wreck the grease inside,,,, the best way to lube an 0 or X ring chain is with a suitable chain lube meant for the purpose. For maximum chain life just keep it clean and lube it often, before and after every ride, I have had good results with bel-ray chain lube myself

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ossagp1

Posted April 01, 2002 - 11:37 PM

Years back my son made me a chain lube/cleaner from a bbq rotiserrie. You can use your imagnination, but he cut down the suare shaft and took the 'prongs and bent them into a shape that had a channel for two chains to ride in. the chains are looped downward so they can ride in a 5 gallon bucket that is filled with oil. Doesnt seem to matter what kind. It cleans and lubricates a conventional like we run on the 125's and seems to clean the O-ring ones we use. (in our case Tsubaki). I think I have tried about all the O ring chains and if you let them stand several hours after a wet trail ride, or even a day, and then use compressed air on the rollers and pins you will find that water gets in at least some of the rollers. I was hoping that by 'working' the links and rollers and they went through the oil it would clean and displace the water.

• Victor_Venturo

Posted April 02, 2002 - 12:26 AM

Honda sells a great chain lube. Goes on wet and drys clean. Before that I only used pure silicon to keep the O/x rings fresh. Have not cleaned or washed a chain or sprocket in years.
Kero or Wd is not good for a sealed chain and it sure is not a good lube. Don't care what the book or can says.
I do not ride in salt or all day deep mud though.

• NMSteve

Posted April 02, 2002 - 06:45 AM

Lubing your chain just gives the dirt a place to stick and wear things out. The dirt and sand grinding between the chain and sprockets wears them much quicker.

My .02
Steve

• needsprayer

Posted April 03, 2002 - 02:33 AM

This investigative work was done by MikeT at DirtRider.net

From the wonderful people who make WD-40:

"WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil. The WD-40 will definitely displace and remove the water or moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement. It will also act as a rust preventative on any of the metal surfaces. WD-40 will not "dry out" the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on surfaces of rubber, and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking, and not just a spray). WD-40 is also a cleaner, it will remove grime, dirt, tape, bumper stickers, and oil. It is possible that if there was a special lubricant in the o-rings, the WD-40 could act as a cleaner and remove that oil. The special lubricant would be replaced with WD-40, which is a light lubricating oil. I'm sure their are more superior, heavy duty (and costly) chain lubes on the market. I also know a lot of people that use WD-40 on their chains. Perhaps some experimenting with WD-40 as a water remover and rust preventative, followed by a heavier chain lube, would fit your needs. The bottom line is WD-40 will not harm your o-rings, but it could remove a lubricant that was previously applied to the chain. Any more questions, let me know! Thanks.. Randy

From the people who distribute RK chains:

We believe that WD-40 will not harm the seals, and should be used to displace moisture.

From the RK chain website:

"CLEANING AND LUBRICATING - Cleaning your chain is a crucial step in maintaining your chain. You should clean your chain and check its adjustment every 400 miles (sooner if the chain gets excessively dirty). Use kerosene or other similar product to keep dirt from building up around link plates and rollers. Do not use contact cleaner, high-pressure hose, steam cleaner or a coarse brush on an O-ring chain. All these can damage the O-rings and/or wash away the internal lubricant. It's OK to hose off a non O-ring chain, but be sure to use a moisture dispersant (like WD40) after any chain comes in contact with water."

They then go on to say

"O-ring Chains - We recommend RK special formula O-ring chain lube. All RK O-ring chains are injected at the factory with a lifetime supply of internal lubricant. An O-ring lube must keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out. Be aware, most aerosol O-ring chain lubes contain solvents that can eat O-rings. RK O-ring chain lube is specifically made for O-ring chain. This non-aerosol lube will ensure optimal performance and chain life. RK's chain lube is specifically formulated to stick to the chain, yet not attract excessive dirt."

Conclusion: If your O-ring is already compromised then WD-40 will remove the internal lubricant. It is more important to not damage the O-rings in the first place and WD-40 does not damage the O-rings.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 03, 2002 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for all the info. Needsprayer, very in depth research you have, thanks for sharing it. I ran the chain for the first time last night. First I coated with gear oil, then with Chain Guard. I figured gear oil would be a good thing for the initial run, then will use Chain Guard in the future. I did have a nice mess from the gear oil, but at least it got a lot of lube for it's first "go around" :) Thanks again, Ryan

• mr660

Posted April 03, 2002 - 02:43 PM

I use HONDA LUBE in a red and black can spray it on the night before you ride or after each washing. it works well, doesn't attract dirt and dust, is not tacky and fling all over the place, and maintains the integrity of the O-rings. Just my opinion

• CAB

Posted April 04, 2002 - 05:52 AM

I don't see the need to soak an o-ring chain in gear oil or any other oil. It's already sealed. I generally only spray my chain with wd-40 before and after washing or after a wet day of riding (far and few in Az.). My stock DRZ chain has 3100 mi. on it and is doing great. I've used nothing but WD-40 on o-rings for 15+ years and have never had a chain fail or stretch excessively. I do plan to replace my stock chain soon (maybe at 5000 mi.) as chains do wear out over time with miles. But I'm confident I haven't shortened the life at all. Anything else but WD-40 is a waste of $$ IMO, but do whatever feels right and helps you sleep at night.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.