XR650L stock pipe mods

5 replies to this topic
  • thumperjohn

Posted September 28, 2004 - 12:08 PM

Does anyone have any info on modifing the stock pipe/baffle?
I thought I read somewhere that you can buy a race endcap from Honda OR drill the end out...
It looks like the baffle is tack welded in...

I just bought an 04 XR650L
and will soon be ripping the smog stuff off, and jetting.
I don't want to spend the bread for a high dollar pipe...

any suggestions?
OR should I just run the stock baffled pipe as it is?
thanks! :cry:

• truck6driver

Posted September 28, 2004 - 01:41 PM

You have the idea. Just grind off the spot welds and remove the bolts. You will have the insert to put back in for stealth runs and remove it for the rest. You will have to work with it to remove it from the pipe if it has any hours on it. I had to use a slide hammer to pull mine out but it had years of riding on it.

watch out when cutting the spot welds, it will cut into the muffler if you take off too much and leave 2 holes in the end pipe.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 28, 2004 - 01:46 PM

There used to be a thumper-racing baffle avail. but no one has been able to find it recently.
You can grind the welds, pull the bolts, and remove the baffle. That's a little loud, (tool loud for me) but you can also cut the inside part of the baffle short.
Don't go too loud- the stealth aspect of this bike is very useful!

PS don't forget the standard mods- drill, shim, de-snorkel, rejet! I posted a full set of instructions on a recent thread.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumperjohn

Posted September 29, 2004 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I am going to use daves receipe for jetting :cry:

I found some info on a race baffle here http://www.geocities.com/wwbagwell/

I am currently searching the web to find one.

Is the pipe /endcap on a xr650R the same as the 650L ??
as in, will a race insert from an R fit an L ?

• thumperjohn

Posted September 29, 2004 - 01:25 PM

I pulled the baffle out.
A quick grind with a Dremel tool, a slight tap with a small cold chistle, and it popped right out.
Heres a few pics.
( I bolted it back in until I get it jetted, it's loud, but not TOO LOUD :cry:)

If I want to tread quietly, I'll just pop it back in :cry:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• jazzeyb

Posted September 30, 2004 - 08:31 PM

i scoured ebay for 4 months... but then i found my white bros e series.
Shipped from cali was right under 100 bucks and in like-new condition. I uncorked the end but the performance pipe made my moab into the MOAB.. 2 different bikes

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.