clutch bushing

2 replies to this topic
  • morewoops

Posted March 24, 2002 - 04:28 PM

New at this site, but has anyone had a problemo with the bushing behind the clutch basket yet? I encountered this problem last week, design flaw from Honda it seems, after talking with some of the racers. The bushing doesn't get enough oil to the outside of it and seizes into the basket. After removing the basket out and taking it down to Honda (dealer I bought it from, not even a year ago), they promptly knew what the problem was, and ordered a new basket, bushing and seal for free, all this with no warranty on the bike. The updated bushing is now for sale (bigger oil hole and one more on the outer edge, coated with a different material and with a relief on the inside as well). I would recomend changing this before it seizes, because who knows if the Honda dealers are going to do this for everyone that comes in with this problem, even know it's thier mistake. You've probably all heard this already but I just had to share it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • terryhotshoe

Posted March 24, 2002 - 06:04 PM

Well you have a good dealer when I let my dealer know about the problem he said he never heard about it!!When I informed him there was an updated part he told me honda always updates there parts and there was no reason to be concerned!!I went ahead and bought the new bushing anyways and installed it my self.Now when I am out out in the desert 100 miles from my truck I have piece of mind!!!!A few people have had to be towed out for the very same problem your post should be taken seriously the part is cheap and can be replaced easily. terry

• qadsan

Posted March 24, 2002 - 07:14 PM

Originally posted by morewoops:
New at this site, but has anyone had a problemo with the bushing behind the clutch basket yet?..

Yep, this is old news and Honda dealers should know about this. From what I know, Honda started using the updated clutch bushing in the later 2001 bikes. I think the only way to find out if you have the new or old bushing installed is to take a peek for yourself if you don't already know. If you have a 2002 model, then you should be safe while 2000 models will all have the old bushing as well as many 2001's. Here's a picture of the two for comparison and the part number of the new bushing. Bushing 1.jpg

Posted Image

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: qadsan ]

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.