Scotts Steel Oil Filter

8 replies to this topic
  • YZRIDER1127

Posted September 27, 2004 - 11:12 PM

I searched for a while and all i got was positive stuff on the scotts oil filter. I guess the only thing i didnt find was how hard are they to clean and something about there should only be one o-ring or gasket, not one on the front?

• Ga426owner

Posted September 28, 2004 - 04:22 AM

I use the same one from my 426's on my 450 - they are easy to clean with gas/contact cleaner/brake cleaner or anything. My Scotts filter has a rubber gasket on the opening side on the filter - goes towards the engine - I do have to reglue it every 3mos as heat will dissolve the glue that holds the seal on. It is not a o-ring it is a gasket seal and there are cheaper alternatives to Scotts stainless filters out there -you can do a search - I am extremely happy with the Scotts - had the same one for 4 years - :cry:

• klokard

Posted September 28, 2004 - 07:02 AM

The Scotts filter is very nice. It holds up well and is very easy to clean. I just wash in hot water with simple green along with my air filters. Then everything gets a good rinse and dry. I usually clean mine every 3rd oil change.

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2004 - 08:59 PM

The Scott's uses only the seal on the outer end of the filter.

They are easily cleaned, and there are a number of approaches you can use.

The important things to remember are that the inside is the "clean" side, that is, the oil flows from the outside in, so keep all the dirty oil, solvent, whatever, out of it and on the outside only.

You can use soap and water, or something like an air filter cleaner and water. Finish rinsing by running water in through the outer end and out through the filter mesh, then dry it with air.

I use clean mineral spirits to rinse the filter off, then run some through the filter with compressed air so it's aerated (new, clean stuff only). Spray Carb Cleaners also work well. Then I follow that by squeezing Automatic Transmission fluid through it with a small plastic bottle. Over the years, I learned that ATF has a remarkable ability to lift and carry off fine debris I didn't know was there. Rinse that away with a little clean motor oil and it's ready.

Using the Scott's, I can have a clean filter with every oil change for a cost of 15 minutes total time spent.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigDesto

Posted October 01, 2004 - 11:50 AM

I use a stock WR brass filter in my YZ, 7-10bucks and is reusable! Clean evrery 3rd-4th oil change! Been using it for the past 2 years!

• Ga426owner

Posted October 01, 2004 - 01:25 PM

I use a stock WR brass filter in my YZ, 7-10bucks and is reusable! Clean evrery 3rd-4th oil change! Been using it for the past 2 years!

Be careful they do come apart over time....

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2004 - 04:25 PM

Absolutely true

Scott's are much tougher. The bad part is that the bronze filters can easily be damaged enough to double the particle size they will pass, or worse, without your being able to see it.

• BigDesto

Posted October 04, 2004 - 10:49 AM

0 problems so far over a year old, and if it starts to show wear another $8 :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2004 - 04:45 PM

The point is that you really have no idea whether the bronze screen is damaged or not, at least not at a micronic level. The bronze element filters only down to about 70 microns to begin with, as opposed to 35 microns for the Scotts. The element is delicate enough that "holes" can be unwittingly created in the mesh as large as 200-400 microns (.000024, or 24 millionths of an inch), or more, which of course, you cannot see.

Also, the bronze filters are glued rather than welded together.

If a rebuild will cost me $1000, I don't mind spending $65 to put it off for a while. It's cheap insurance.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.