clutch cover gasket???

7 replies to this topic
  • drive805

Posted September 27, 2004 - 10:08 PM

for the second time the gasket has started leaking...
so i'm wondering about installing with sealer instead of gasket.......... has anyone?...

• drive805

Posted September 28, 2004 - 11:04 PM

come on someone has had to of done this....anyone

• TimBrp

Posted September 29, 2004 - 03:25 AM

What bike is it for? My psychi isn't up to par today, I guess.

• XR6's_rule

Posted September 29, 2004 - 03:54 AM

If you've cleaned the surface on the engine case and the crankcase cover properly, installed a new gasket and as long as every bolt is tight, you shouldnt get any leaks. It could be your oil line where it bolts to the cover too, and if its leaking, replace the copper sealing washers. Good luck!

Mark.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpasaurus

Posted September 29, 2004 - 05:00 AM

What bike? I've replaced that gasket on my 600 and not had a problem.

Are you sure you've cleaned the mating surfaces really clean? I suspect not or you wouldn't have a problem. Get one of those razor gasket scrapers and gasket solvent and try again.

IMO, don't second guess the design engineers. The thing was designed for a gasket so I'd stick with it.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 29, 2004 - 08:00 AM

Everyone is right if you torqued it evenly, 5ft lbs is all it takes (forget the 9ft lbs the mauual calls for), it should not leak. Also check the clutch cover for cracks, they do crack and will leak. If cracked it may cost you about 30 to 40 bucks.

• frankstr

Posted September 29, 2004 - 12:38 PM

I've had the clutch cover off of mine and reinstalled it :excuseme:NO problems NO leaks...
Dont use any sealants on a rubber O ring JMO :cry:

• drive805

Posted September 30, 2004 - 08:13 PM

its an 83 XL 600 i replaced the gasket twice first time i used a gasket scraper... second time i used a gasket removal disc on a dremal tool... all bolts were tight the cover looks like it might have a small crack from the kick starter so i will check that out and see if maybe thats it but i think its just something in the casting not a crack....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.