05 yz450f problems

7 replies to this topic
  • SkyRyder55

Posted September 27, 2004 - 04:44 PM

What if any problems have come up with the new YZ450. I will be getting one shortly and would like to know what I am getting into beforehand, and what I need to replace before the [@#$%&*!] hits the fan.

• Blue4Ever

Posted September 27, 2004 - 06:32 PM

The only real possiable problem you might find is w/the chain, there are no inherent issues w/these bikes, at least as of yet. they have very dependable motors. The only changes you may want to do are personal upgrades & the normal tire & sprocket changes for your ridding conditions. Enjoy! :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 28, 2004 - 02:36 AM

My chain lasted 3 rides. So much for the new and improved one for 05. :cry:

• gonzo

Posted September 28, 2004 - 04:12 AM

Welcome to the world of Yamaha. A world where all you do is change the oil every 5 rides and enjoy your bike. You'll never look at valves again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 28, 2004 - 04:16 AM

What if any problems have come up with the new YZ450. I will be getting one shortly and would like to know what I am getting into beforehand, and what I need to replace before the [@#$%&*!] hits the fan.

I assume you must be another CRF valve burnout victim from your tone...So toss the chain before any use, replace with a quality non oring chain....the 739 dunlops stink for most every condition except CA soil.(I still don't know why) I always regrease the steerhead bearings and swingarm bearings on new yamahas(the link has maint free bearings - check after 3mo's) - the factory does not use enough grease. Oh, and check and tighten spokes as they usually will come loose - I always remove sprocket nuts and use Red locktite 242 on the bolts, reinstall nuts to proper torque and let it set up 24-48hrs before use. (insures no sprocket/hub failure)Never retighten nuts unless new loctite is used - you will break the seal and chances are very high that the nuts will come off with catastrophic effects! You should be good togo after checking tightness of all nuts/bolts/screws! :cry:

• SureBlue

Posted September 28, 2004 - 04:18 AM

Welcome to the world of Yamaha. A world where all you do is change the oil every 5 rides and enjoy your bike. You'll never look at valves again.

Could not agree more! :cry:

• Fastest1

Posted September 28, 2004 - 10:38 AM

When installing the bolts through the sprocket, be sure to put some red loctite on the backside of the head (where it fits in the countersunk hole in the sprocket)I read that in the instructions for some sprocket installation years ago, it works and I will always do it because it is extra cheap insurance. I put the red loctite on the threads too of course.

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted September 28, 2004 - 11:22 AM

I moved my JD kit from my 2002 YZF 426 into my 2005 YZF 450 and it removed a stumble sitting on the stand. Don't know if it had it riding or not, (only one ride w/ it stock), but JD calls out the same kit for the 2005 as earlier years and I noticed an improvement.

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.