XR600 Carb. and Valve lapping info.

1 reply to this topic
  • Jeffrotech

Posted March 18, 2002 - 10:38 PM

I'm looking for some info on my '87 XR600R...
1. Any tricks w/ rebuilding the carb, or just replace gaskets/seals? Should I definitely increase jet size while I'm in there (w/ SuperTrap pipe)?
2. I had no compression due to a carboned-up exhaust valve, and now I've got the head apart for cleaning. Should I just lap the valves, or should I proceed w/ cutting the seats?

Any other useful tech info. on this machine is appreciated (first-timer!!!)
THANKS!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Harley_Guthery

Posted March 18, 2002 - 06:39 PM

Jeff, Last year I did a top end on my 1986 600 my exhaust valves had a large amount of carbon built up on them also. What I did was use a dremel with a wire wheel to clean up the exhaust ports and backs of the valves. Everything seemed to be in good condition so I just lapped my valves. I am not saying that is all you need to do but Probably. While you have the head off you may look at the cam chain tensioner (actually the slider but on the tensioner side). In more then one case, I have seen them wear almost completly through. You do not want a piece of rubber and whatever that size in your motor. Just my advice.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.