Broke sprocket,hub,chain.......

5 replies to this topic
  • OU182

Posted September 27, 2004 - 08:34 AM

Well lets start off by saying it was a get weekend :cry:! It all started off when I felt a dragging on my bike,I thought it was my brakes locking up(since my rear brake res is leaking)but when I stopped to look at the brakes I noticed one of my sprocket bolts missing,It gets better! Then I noticed that every bolt was loose,and the one that fell out gouged my swing arm up(about a half inch deep)So when I got back to camp I did a quick fix on it,Well that lasted until yesterday when I was riding a ridge pretty fast and them it happend....I hear grinding,since my clutch is on its last leg I figured that it blew,but what is was my sprocket broke in two laying about 10ft behind me! Futher review showed that my chain had flung into my case,snapped my hub,bent every damn chain guide I have! Thats it for now I havent even taken it off the trailer yet,kinda what to take it to the local dump and leave it there! Any one got any rear wheels for sale?
2000 yz426

• Thumpy79

Posted September 27, 2004 - 11:56 AM

Did you put blue locktight on the sprocket bolts? It's pretty common for them to loosen up without it. They also have a tendancy to stretch when tightened and should be replaced after a few sprocket changes. Sorry to hear about your mangled wheel, it happened to my uncle a few years ago in the middle of a race that he was running second in :cry: Ever since then they've been one of those routine checks. Check ebay for the wheel, their is usually one or two for sale :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 27, 2004 - 01:44 PM

There is a lot of info on this subject if you do a search - I use Red locktite 242 on mine after months of loose bolts - Make sure that you let it set up for 24 -48hrs before riding and never retighten as this will break the seal. The Yamaha bolts will stretch if tightened too much - sorry about your incident - a lot of us have gone thru it...ouch! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • richard

Posted September 27, 2004 - 02:58 PM

Yep yz400 through chain through case. Yz426 busted hub. Bought new nuts and bolts that allow for a few extra ft-lb of torque and used red lock tite did not come loose for the entire life of the rear sprocket

I bought the new sproket for my 04 YZ450 and now have to find the nuts and the alenbolts.

• HS624KS

Posted September 27, 2004 - 06:23 PM

Yep yz400 through chain through case. Yz426 busted hub. Bought new nuts and bolts that allow for a few extra ft-lb of torque and used red lock tite did not come loose for the entire life of the rear sprocket

I bought the new sproket for my 04 YZ450 and now have to find the nuts and the alenbolts.

Ditto.........blown rear hub, bent chain guide, wiped out rear sprocket.

red loctite and new nuts & bolts.
don't chance it.

• OU182

Posted September 29, 2004 - 09:19 AM

Well this is bogus I called white brothers today to see if they had a new whell in stock and guess what,BACKORDER! So what to do? I think I'll load this piece of [@#$%&*!] up and drag it down my street a couple of times and hang it on my garage wall.If anyone has a wheel for sale contact me please :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.