Clanking noise on Idle

15 replies to this topic
  • flack123

Posted September 27, 2004 - 05:07 AM

I have a 2001 XR650R. Last weekend, i went riding and i noticed a clicking noise coming from the engine at idle only. Its kinda loud. It has never done that before. I thought it was the valves or lifters, but those are fine. Any idea what that could be?

Thanks

• qadsan

Posted September 27, 2004 - 05:50 AM

I know you said the valves are fine, but did this noise by chance start after you adjusted the valves or after you installed a skid plate or ???

• flack123

Posted September 27, 2004 - 06:00 AM

No, the noise started before valve ajustment. I only ride on the weekends and 2 weekends ago, everything was fine, and the past weekend, i started it up and this clicking noise started. I have the stock skid plate also.

Thanks

• TimBrp

Posted September 27, 2004 - 08:37 AM

I would re-check your intake valves at least. The intakes are the only ones that are usually out of wak on my bike. A lil tighte typically. The motors are noisy to begin with.

• flack123

Posted September 27, 2004 - 08:44 AM

I double checked the valves and they are find. I even took it to the dealer and had him check them. This noise that the bike is making is not normal. Do you think it could be the timing chain?? Like i said, it only makes this noise at Idle

Thanks

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted September 27, 2004 - 10:03 AM

Ya know...

After all said and done to my bike;
New piston, rings, crank, rod, main bearings, mild cam... (some of us know the story)... the idle is rough sounding.

It sounded as if a bearing is going bad, or something is kinda sloppy. I've even takin' my bike to 2 dealers where I know there's a 'good' mechanic on site... and they have all given me the nod as "it's okay". To the point of putting their hands over the exhaust to listen only to the motor, or venting it out of the building with hose/pipe (interesting concept in this one shop)....

I've still had a concern, and even had a couple fellow riders ask why it's so noisy... to have two more great mechanics tell me it's "okay".

Hmmm...
I'm still concerned, however I'll ride it as most everything is new or has been apart and back together a couple times to get re-done (like I said, some know the saga... :cry: )

Good luck.

• flack123

Posted September 27, 2004 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the input. I talked again with my dealer and they are contacting Honda on the issue. There are thinking maybe the Automatic Decompressor on the cam. I have never heard of that, but i don't know much about the bikes engine. Anyone ever hear of that?? Do you guys think that could cause a clicking or clanking noise?? My dealer checked everything on top of the engine and says everything on top is fine. I'm lost.

Thanks

• malevolent73

Posted September 27, 2004 - 04:32 PM

Dude, I'm getting a little ticking on top myself... and I also just adjusted the valves... as for the auto decomp, I don't have one, I have a hot cam, they don't use the auto decomp. but I still hear a little ticking, I asked my friend who is a mechanic, and he said normal too!!! go figure... Just thought I would share that with you. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnnyAirtime

Posted September 27, 2004 - 06:05 PM

hmmm...

See mine isn't really a "tick" ... it's more like a sound of nuts and bolts in a tin can. But it's not there ALL the time... just every so often you'll hear it. And it's pretty noticeable on my bike.

I also do have an Alum. skidplate... with no rubber or weatherstripping between it and the frame. Plus... the noise bounces off it like crazy so who knows...

I can live with the 'tick'... my CRF is even worse about 'noise'... but it sure is hard to get used to. Just "living" with it I mean.

Oh well. Ride on!

• flack123

Posted September 27, 2004 - 06:17 PM

hmmm...

See mine isn't really a "tick" ... it's more like a sound of nuts and bolts in a tin can. But it's not there ALL the time... just every so often you'll hear it. And it's pretty noticeable on my bike.

I also do have an Alum. skidplate... with no rubber or weatherstripping between it and the frame. Plus... the noise bounces off it like crazy so who knows...

I can live with the 'tick'... my CRF is even worse about 'noise'... but it sure is hard to get used to. Just "living" with it I mean.

Oh well. Ride on!

Yes, thats what mine sounds like kinda. I can live with it, i just want to make sure that its nothing major. My dealer is contacting Honda on the issue. I guess i will see what they say. Thanks for all the input. It all was helpful

Thanks again

• smashinz2002

Posted September 27, 2004 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, I don't know dude. My 650R has ALWAYS made several types of noises; ticking, clacking, and knocking. I keep the valves adjusted correctly. Anyway, when the valves tick, you can barely hear it over all the other knocking and clacking sounds.
It only does the nuts and bolts in a tin can at a certain rpm.
All I know is that all the noises my bike makes are considered normal. It's got over 4,000 miles on it, and it's never had any problems or failures.
I think some of the noises, especially the knocking/clacking, is probably piston slap. But not sure.
LL.
'00 XR650R/uncorked/jetted/street legal

• HairyScary

Posted September 28, 2004 - 12:22 AM

hmmm...

Does your "just every so often" happen to be the difference between when you are idling in neutral with the clutch out vs. idling in gear with clutch in? (with the neutral being noisier)

• flack123

Posted September 28, 2004 - 04:18 AM

With the clutch in or out, the noise is the same. I wish i recorded the sound it was making and uploaded it. Oh well.

Thanks for the help

• flack123

Posted October 06, 2004 - 12:40 PM

ok, maybe this will help. I recorded the sound and maybe someone has the same noise or has heard it before. Please, if anyone knows if this is normal or not. I have another 2001 xr650r and its not doing the noise at all. Just a reminder, this noise is at idle only. Also, the file that is on the link is like 3 meg. I hope it works for everyone. Also you need Quicktime to view the file.Thanks

http://www.daveandtr...om/brpnoise.mov

• RingKingPin

Posted October 06, 2004 - 03:22 PM

The link doesn't work for me. I get an error page. Anyhew, I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard of many many people trying to figure out what "that" noise is. [@#$%&*!], it's an XR, you can't kill it. I've only heard of a couple of failiures outta more than 2500 on the yahoo group (including my own) and they have all been on the big end. I say don't worry about it and run it hard.

• flack123

Posted October 08, 2004 - 07:42 AM

Sorry, i fixed the link. Please make sure you have Quicktime. Its a 3mb file.

Thanks for the help again

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.