'03 450 Exhaust Shims

31 replies to this topic
  • ripntear

Posted September 30, 2004 - 08:18 PM

Boyd,
1. What were your original shims sizes?
2. What was your clearances with the stock cam in?
3. What was your clearance with the new cam and new shims in?

ripntear

• b-bike

Posted September 30, 2004 - 08:38 PM

Boyd,

1. What were your original shims sizes?
2. What was your clearances with the stock cam in?
3. What was your clearance with the new cam and new shims in?

I can't remember what the size of the original shims :cry: Nor can I remember what the clearance was on the stock cam. However I can tell you that the final clearance was 0.22 left and 0.21 right.

Boyd

• ripntear

Posted October 01, 2004 - 03:46 AM

One problem I feel is the differences on how to take readings using feeler guages. They say you should feel drag on the guages. Is that a slight drag to where the guage will fit easily with little force between the cam lobe and the valve lifter, or should you push it in using more pressure getting the largest possible value without depressing the valve?
I was talking to a friend of mine about this and we agreed that 5 different people would get 5 different readings due to each individuals "feel" of the pressure used and drag felt.

How do you take your readings :cry:!

ripntear

• Fastest1

Posted October 01, 2004 - 07:15 AM

That is my opinion also regarding the use of feeler gauges, however I dont think you could lift a valve with a feeler gauge (it would bend). I am able to shove quite a few different sizes through and once inserted only marginal drag is sensed. :cry:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted October 01, 2004 - 11:24 AM

Man, you guys should see my previous posts regarding "feel" with feeler gauges! I had like 20 different answers. My final thought was that you need a slight drag, but it should go in and out smoothly. Hard to explain, as I too could probably fit in 5 larger or smaller gauges at times! I guess the more you do it, the more accustomed you get to "feeling" the right "feel". Confused yet?

• Satch0922

Posted October 01, 2004 - 11:50 AM

TFB is correct. You should have a resistance but not have to FORCE it in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2004 - 07:00 PM

If you want to have some fun, pass a shim around a few of your buds and have them use a micrometer on it and tell you what size it is. 5 people will give you at least 4 answers. All that stuff is part of the "touch" a good mechanic develops over time, that's all.

Feeler gauges should drag a little. :cry:

• ripntear

Posted October 02, 2004 - 04:23 AM

Feel. It is very subjective!
I probably took a dozen readings before I decided on the final clearances. It wasn't cut and dry, and I am still not convinced that I have it right. I have never been one for "Close Enough" as for I am a Woodworker also. Building Fine Furniture requires precision, but you can check your measurements using rulers, calipers and squares. There is some "Feel" involved but in a different way.
I guess If I used feeler guages regularly and could document the results of the actions taken based on my readings then I would have a better understanding of the "Feel" required. I have a good "Feeling" that I will be getting lots of practice now that I am a TT'er :cry:!

ripntear

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 02, 2004 - 04:31 AM

A lot of times you will feel resistance at first but then it gets sloppy as you move it around. I look for the resistance to be felt the whole time it's in there.

It's a good method for a lot of things. :cry:

• ripntear

Posted October 02, 2004 - 05:15 AM

I started to say something but thought it might be best to just keep quiet :cry:!

ripntear

• yamaha.dude

Posted October 03, 2004 - 11:05 PM

One problem I feel is the differences on how to take readings using feeler guages. They say you should feel drag on the guages. Is that a slight drag to where the guage will fit easily with little force between the cam lobe and the valve lifter, or should you push it in using more pressure getting the largest possible value without depressing the valve?
I was talking to a friend of mine about this and we agreed that 5 different people would get 5 different readings due to each individuals "feel" of the pressure used and drag felt.

How do you take your readings :cry:!

ripntear

I like to spray the feeler gauges with some WD40, and then they should have a just a little resistance, as if you were pulling a piece of writing paper through your thumb and index finger, gripping the paper softly...

It's hard to desribe, but you just have to grok the tool and you will instinctively know... just like being able to torque up a bolt without a torque wrench, or free pour spirits with out shortchanging the customer or the establishment... Like when you apply a bit more pressure to a Jack plane to get it to bite and take a nice long curl of timber off... or adjusting the depth of the blade... You will get it, and by the sounds of your shim saga, you are getting some practice in... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good luck,

David

• ripntear

Posted October 04, 2004 - 01:02 PM

I had a buddy come over last night and check clearance. His method is to put the largest numerical value he can fit between the cam lobe and the valve cap which puts us about .020mm apart. His thought is that if the valve isn't being depressed, then what ever the amount is you can insert, is the clearance between the two. I had him try my readings and he said they felt like they would work also. We laughed :cry:!

There is one more friend that's going to come by and check it. After that, I'm probably going to average the 3 and use it to find my shim sizes.
It's crazy and I'm getting that way :cry:!

ripntear

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.