83 XR500 top end noise

1 reply to this topic
  • COrider

Posted March 04, 2002 - 11:04 AM

Any old-school riders out there? I have an 83 XR500R making some crazy top end noise. It sounds like it is coming from the top right side of the engine. Not knowing any better I would say it is a incorrectly adjusted valve, but I know better and the valves have been checked and are tight. My money is on the CAM chain, but thought I would check and see if anyone else has heard a similar noise in the past.

Just powered up the XR650R. The thing is INSANE!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sixr500

Posted March 04, 2002 - 07:04 PM

It definately sounds like what you are refering to, is cam chain/ or cam bearing journals. I wouldn't run the engine until you can get in there and take a peek at the top end! Believe me! I have seen what a busted cam chain can do to the top end of this bike. I have (a blown top end,xr5oor) sitting in my basement as a reminder. I have looked up the prices and they are very spendy, new. ($500) Used heads are getting hard to come by. So make sure the oil lines are good, and that there is oil getting to the top end. Simple things like a new oil seal on the crank shaft (five bucks) can improve oil flow to the top end, as the oil flows up from the crankshaft. You can't reverse the damage done, but you can prevent any more from happening.--Credit Xrjohn lear on any info for the xr500r, of which he is an expert!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.