XR to WR

34 replies to this topic
  • jhteneyck

Posted October 05, 2004 - 01:31 PM

I know the situation you are in as I have bounced from XR's to KDX's to XR's to KTM to XR's and finally landed on a WR. You can and will drive yourself crazy reading these fourms while trying to figure out what to buy. I chose the WR for a couple of BIG reasons and many smaller ones. Any bike you buy will feel amazingly better than the 600R you ride now. I had one of those as well. All the makers are producing quality bikes; Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green; they are all good but some are experiencing smnall "teething issues" AKA valves.
Reason for the WR.
1) Proven design and relabilty in a liquid cooled 4 stroke. they are as bullet proof as they get right now.
2) Parts are easy to come buy.
3) Dealers are EVERYWHERE.
4) They are as close to an XR's reliablity as it can get without getting an XR. Not a ton af wrenching involved. I am NOT a mechanic and on't claim to be one. WR/YZ motor works, plain and simple.
Dont let the weight thing be the one point that steers you away from the WR. Coming from an XR 400 the WR seems light years ahead of what I was riding; and it is. The KTM was a maintenence headache for me because I am not a mechanic and they like wrenching, at least mine did. Good luck on the new bike. I could not be happier with my steed and would not trade it for anything else on the market. :cry:

• ill_caper

Posted October 05, 2004 - 02:05 PM

I sold my '01 xr650r for an '03 wr450f. I dont regret it at all. I loved my xr, I just love my WR that much more. The XR does have more torque than the WR, but I feel that the WR has way more top end and handles much better. I really cant say that I miss anything about the XR. The WR has plenty of torque and I dont really think Ive ever been looking for more torque than it has. SO far, the WR is my favorite 4stroke that I have ridden. ANd it is right up there with the XR as far as reliability. My $.02 :cry:

• chipwich

Posted October 05, 2004 - 02:19 PM

not that i would part with mine, but how much did you save with the e-start alone ncmountainman?

btw huntmaster, the cycle world test says that the wr is a heavy steerer. i find just the oppoisite on mine, in fact in back to back riding tests with a crf450, the wr steering feels lighter. the crf does feel lighter in the air, but even its owner commented on how the wr turns better than his mount.

• jwriott

Posted October 05, 2004 - 02:45 PM

I REALLY wish I lived closer to you so I could ride your bike. Hopefully, at some point, they'll come like this. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 05, 2004 - 03:08 PM

not that i would part with mine, but how much did you save with the e-start alone ncmountainman?

btw huntmaster, the cycle world test says that the wr is a heavy steerer. i find just the oppoisite on mine, in fact in back to back riding tests with a crf450, the wr steering feels lighter. the crf does feel lighter in the air, but even its owner commented on how the wr turns better than his mount.

the starter,battery,all the gears,one way clutch,starter button,ignition button,and get this 1-lb of extra wiring, it all was almost 14 lbs :cry: with the rekluse clutch stalling is no longer an issue,and starting with the kwik-kick is much easier than the stock kicker.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted October 05, 2004 - 10:14 PM

More good input :cry: Thanks ill_caper!!
Chipwich, have you done any extensive suspension mods to your WR (springs and/or revalve)? I'm not a super fast guy but have come to realize that in order to ride a XR650R seriously/comfortably I would need heavier springs and probably a revalve.

"they are all good but some are experiencing smnall "teething issues" AKA valves." I'm a fan of big red but the CRF valve issues are keeping me from seriously considering one.

The Yamaha website says 10/04 release date for the 05 450. I went down to my local dealer and they didn't have any idea when they would be avaiable; anyone know?

• huntmaster

Posted October 06, 2004 - 04:42 AM

That test in question says "this bike sometimes felt heavier then the XR650". Whatever. My point was that the WR sure didn't feel a lot lighter. And "feel" is the operative word. In either case being compared to the lone 650 on test as opposed to the other 450's on test (nevermind a 250!) says it all! With 2005 WR updates, they have my interest and perhaps this might change.

As for the CRF450, it seemed like a feather compared to either bike. But to be fair it is an MX bike and the upcoming 450X will be the obvious comparison. As noted, I am curious about the updates to the 2005 WR450 and Yamaha's attempt at mass centralization. Even in the photos the attempt is evident. We'll see! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted October 06, 2004 - 05:17 AM

If a guy did need to re-spring and re-valve their bike, what would be the adverage cost to do so? :cry:

• Rooster426

Posted October 25, 2004 - 10:33 AM

I have just switched up from an XR400 with alot of mods to it to a 2002 WR426 and the biggest thing u will notice is the suspension. I think a really moded out XR400 will put out 40 horses and a stock wr426 puts out something like 43 in its califonia mode which from what i have read is extremeley restrictive so there is deffiantly more room for improvement. Too me(and many others may dissagree) up to about 6000 rpm i cant tell the diffrence between the 2 and right off the bottom i might go out on a limb and say the xr will pull a little harder. But from that point on the xr flat lines and the wr still has plenty left. The suspesnion is not even close i spent close to 500 bucks on the suspension on my xr and its suck compared to the stock wr suspension. But i cant get used to the riding postion of the WR. I am alot more comfortable on the XR then I am on My WR and the past three times i have ridden it I have been more timmid becasue it just feels diffrent. I am sure though after some more seat time it will be a badass bike. My best advice would be get the WR even though the XR400 might be one of the best trail bikes ever made the WR is just sweet

WR426 will take a xr400 anyday--off the line, top end you name it--I was just out on a dry lake bed with 3 of my buddies riding XR's (a 400, a 400 with ims 440 kit, and a 600)--I took them all off the line, they were eating my dirt for the first 1/2 mile-the only guy to catch and pass me was the 600, and a slow pass at that!

• ohioxr400

Posted October 25, 2004 - 11:10 AM

My old mans Xr600 will beat my wr426 in a dragg race and my xr440 will keep up with the WR426 untill u get to about 65. But u know how it goes now one wants to say there bike is not as fast as some one elses( specifily when u compare a honda to yamaha)

• ohioxr400

Posted October 25, 2004 - 11:10 AM

My old mans Xr600 will beat my wr426 in a dragg race and my xr440 will keep up with the WR426 untill u get to about 65. But u know how it goes now one wants to say there bike is not as fast as some one elses( specifily when u compare a honda to yamaha) ps there both alot slower then my bros brand new RM250

• wr_tree

Posted October 26, 2004 - 09:20 AM

I disagree -

Was out riding this weekend with my buddy (he has an XR400 and I was riding my new 01 426 for the third time). We were stopped on a dirt road and he turns to me and says "Race to the corner"? - about 75 yards away. I said "Sure". Usually he is a much faster rider than I am but this time I blew him away. His XR400 was no match for the 426 - and I am not that fast of a rider. The bike has WAY more power than the XR400. Whoever says they do not is not being honest.

• ohioxr400

Posted October 26, 2004 - 09:29 AM

it depends how moded out ur xr is, if u put in a 12.5 to 1 compression 440 kit with a stage one hot cam it is pretty competitive with a 426 and the 440 will also make more tourque which is very important if the two people who r racing are 265lbs and 280 lbs (like in the case of my dad and I)

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted October 27, 2004 - 12:30 PM

it depends how moded out ur xr is, if u put in a 12.5 to 1 compression 440 kit with a stage one hot cam it is pretty competitive with a 426 and the 440 will also make more tourque which is very important if the two people who r racing are 265lbs and 280 lbs (like in the case of my dad and I)

Or you can save all that time and effort get a wr and have better suspension to boot.

• ohioxr400

Posted October 28, 2004 - 05:11 AM

yeah thats true

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.