xr600 xr400 aftermarket fork spring users

3 replies to this topic
  • Matt96xr6

Posted February 28, 2002 - 07:06 AM

I got some aftermarket springs installed in the XR600. They are a .45kg rate, stiffer than stock. But they were shorter by about 60mm in length. So they come with a spacer you have to cut.

Well I did the spacer, and when you loosen up the compression dampening you lose about 3" of travel. I could sit there and bottom the forks by pushing down on the bars. Reason, the spacer is to long. Anyone else notice this?

Well I found a solution. I have some Valve springs left over from the heads in my car. Same diameter as the stock XR springs. They are 110lb at seat height and 270lbs open. Figured they would be perfect! Well they about are! The forks ride soft like a progressive, and I gained back the suspension travel. I did have to use a bit of the spacer, but it is only like 1" compared to about 4" before.

I have like 7 pairs left if anyone is interested. Just email me.

mjbobbitt@yahoo.com

• Trail_Ryder

Posted February 28, 2002 - 07:30 AM

From what manufacturer were the aftermarket fork springs from?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted February 28, 2002 - 06:22 PM

Eibach, Racetech and WB springs are all the same specs in length. All shorter than stock.

• jamesp

Posted April 11, 2002 - 10:16 AM

Eibach springs are longer than the race tech.

The Eibachs are 510mm which is about 28mm too short.

I think the racetechs are about 470mm

I am curious though, how does the lb rates translate in kg rates? If a valve spring could be found that was MUCH stiffer than the fork springs, it would make a great "anti-bottoming" type spring. So these valve springs are about 3" long?

Great idea Matt!!

[ April 11, 2002: Message edited by: jamesp ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.