Broken bolt trouble help

4 replies to this topic
  • rush66

Posted September 25, 2004 - 04:19 PM

I accidently snapped off the right side tank mount bolt :cry: flush with the frame and was drilling it out to easy-out it and the drill bit caught somthing snapped and of in the hole :cry: the end of the bit is recessed a little bit I don't know what to do to get it out ? Are the mounts just a tube through the frame ? could I just cut the spot welds and remove the whole tube and weld a new one in and tap it ? any helpful advise is appreciated

• yz426onNOS

Posted September 25, 2004 - 04:21 PM

Wow, thats a tuff one!!!! I'd say break out the torch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted September 26, 2004 - 06:46 AM

Dont forget the oil tank is in the frame :cry:. You could drill it out and retap to a larger size much easier. You could try freezing it and chipping it out. The metal they make ez outs with is pretty brittle so it should fracture easily.

• Davidyz450

Posted September 26, 2004 - 07:02 AM

Snap On, Mac, and Matco carry mini die grinder bits. They will tear through that bolt like butter. Then just retap hole or heli coil it. :cry:

• dodge03

Posted October 05, 2004 - 04:30 PM

TRY HITTING THE FRAME AROUND THE BOLT WITH A PUNCH OR SOCKET EXTENSION EVEN AN AIR HAMMER IF YOU HAVE ONE. THIS SHOULD LOOSEN THE DRILL BIT THEN A MAGNET SHOULD GET IT OUT IF THIS DOESN'T WORK DREMEL MAKES VERY SMALL GRINDING BITS IT MAY TAKE A WHILE BUT SHOULD DO THE TRICK.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.