Dutch!!!!

2 replies to this topic
  • 426fred

Posted February 25, 2002 - 10:46 PM

Hey Dutch,

how did You hook that GPS up to Your WR? I have a WR426 that I want to hook up my Garmin II+ to - and beeing a total novice when it comes to electronics, any help is appreciated.
What parts do I need? where to find power? etc, etc.
Can I do as Tman did on his XR650, and have a remote battery and charge it, to use for my GPS when I kill the engine?

///426Fred

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted February 26, 2002 - 03:33 AM

Hey Fred!
In order to power a GPS from your 426 you need to have your stator rewound. Baja Designs is one place that can do that,(around $100.00 I think).
On my WR I put a 12 volt rechargable battery that could power the GPS for 24 hours. When I put the bike away for the night I'd hook it up to the charger. Worked great. On the 650R you don't need to rewind the stator to power the GPS - but mine is at Baja now because it bumps it up from 80 to 250 watts! Where I live,(Northern Michigan), I'll be using an electric vest to extend the riding season. How is your riding season over in Stockholm?

• 426fred

Posted February 26, 2002 - 03:59 AM

Hi Dutch,

riding conditions today is bad - it is snowing . Hmmm, trying to compare Michigan area to Sweden - well, in northern Sweden people are more into snowmobiles because winter lasts (with snow) about four to five months. Down south they dont know what a snowmobile is, but it gets really wet and quite cold. Off-road one can drive pretty much the whole year. Here in the Stockholm area (about 1/3 up the country) we ususally get around 6-7 months of off-road riding - and that is streching it. Cold in the beginning, sometimes nice and warm in the summer and cold and wet in the fall. But Gore-Tex helps out pretty good. Then there are the real enthusiasts that drives all year, with spiked tires during the winter - preferably on a frosen lake - and the messenger guys, doing their routes no matter what weather.

Ok, rewinding the stator is not for me, I will do something like You did - but am thinking of a stack of "normal" 4.5 volt batteries and just buy new ones when the old ones are "empty".
At least for starters - later I might do it axactly like You did.

Just bought the WR and I am trying to sell my XR600 -97 - will do more mx this year and then the WR is better for me. The rest of the riding will be on gravelroads and trailriding.

Thanks for the reply,

///Fredrik (it is snowing more and more :) )

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.