Need help with Stator problem

5 replies to this topic
  • CrackiN

Posted September 25, 2004 - 04:30 AM

I have an 86 XL600R....I have had 2 stators go out in less than a month...The first stator didn't go completly out but was just bad....reading 20 ohms....The second stopped charging completly and was reading 28 ohms....The first stator was the original and the second was an OEM part...Any idea what could be making these go out? I don't want to keep changing them out if I have another problem...

• CrackiN

Posted September 25, 2004 - 05:57 PM

I have found that the motor has been running hot and has melted the plastic that covers the wires to the stator....Any ideas on what would make the engine run hot?

• HeadTrauma

Posted September 26, 2004 - 02:49 PM

Any ideas on what would make the engine run hot?

Jetting, riding style, low on oil....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CrackiN

Posted September 26, 2004 - 03:13 PM

Definatly plenty of oil....The overheating is occuring on long highway runs....60-70 mph....I think the jetting could be a problem...What about carb float setting?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 26, 2004 - 08:29 PM

Definatly plenty of oil....The overheating is occuring on long highway runs....60-70 mph....I think the jetting could be a problem...What about carb float setting?

Not likely. But a lean condition will definately make it run hot.

• CrackiN

Posted September 27, 2004 - 04:24 AM

Ok...So if it is running lean and has the stock jets.What is your advice....The carbs have just been rebuilt (or so says the mechanic shop)....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.