Oil change killed my bike!

30 replies to this topic
  • Rockindog

Posted September 24, 2004 - 11:02 PM

I'll start off by saying I am a newbie to this, but it seems to me that changing the oil shouldn't cause this much trouble!

I bought a 2000 YZ426 used, and once I got past the learning phase as to how to start it, it was a one kick bike. After getting some hours on it, I decided to change the oil. I started it to warm it up (one kick) changed it, put in a new air filter (old one fell apart when I cleaned it) changed the oil, and couldn't get it started. I went out riding the next day and it took 20 minutes before I finally got it going. The next weekend, I changed out the spark plug and it started easier, but after about 15 kicks. A friend who had a YZ400 said that if you put too much oil in it creates too much pressure and is hard to start. So tonight I changed the oil again. Started on the 4th kick, changed the oil, put 1.4 quarts in (less then recommended in the manual) and guess what, won't start. I'm using Yamalube 20w40.

Any suggestions as to what to look for? Like I said, I am new to this so...one thought I had was that I may have used too much filter oil on the new air filter. Is it possible that some of it got sucked into the carb and is gumming it up now? It is acting like it's flooded. I can't go two weekends without riding! I'll never make it through the next week of work!!!

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

• Derekj426

Posted September 25, 2004 - 01:07 AM

Clean the carb and pull the air filter off and try and start it.. To much oil could've got sucked in.. Its happened to me, also, one thing to look at, when you go to kick your bike,, where is your right hand at, on the throttle or off of it.. If your resting your hand on the throttle,, you might be turning it some while doing your kick to start the bike which will flood your bike out.. That to happened, which I never even noticed me doing untill someone pointed it out. Slid my hand over to rest on the handlebars and behold my bike would start right back up again..

• Satch0922

Posted September 25, 2004 - 04:08 AM

I am with Derek on this one. Sounds to me like you over oiled your air filter. The engine oil has nothing to do with it. If you overfill the engine you will know because the bike will puke it out!

Clean the carb. When I clean my air filter I re-oil it and let it sit overnight before I install it in the bike. Make sure you squeeze out all of the excess oil on the filter.

• Rockindog

Posted September 25, 2004 - 06:30 AM

That's what I was afraid of. An oil change is one thing...pulling the carb off is a whole other beast! Time to learn the hard way, right?

I learned right off the bat NOT to keep my hand on the throttle. I wanted to twist it too much! I just hold the bar now.

Thanks! Wish me luck...

• Fastest1

Posted September 25, 2004 - 07:10 AM

You might not need to pull the carb. Pull the air filter off, start it without it on but do not ride it. Spray a small amount of carb cleaner in there while it is running. Should clean right up. If you squeeze your filter out good and let it dry, you shouldnt have any problem. However if you have never taken your carb off, it is about time! :cry:

• BoffoRider

Posted September 25, 2004 - 09:48 AM

I pull in the front brake when I start it up. The pressure of pulling it in ensures you don't twist the throttle.

• holeshot

Posted September 25, 2004 - 09:56 AM

As as a newbie to the 426, you should be aware that the oil has to be drained from the engine and the frame. If you just drain the motor, there will still be oil remaining in the frame (because it's a dry sump engine). Adding the correct amount of oil before draining the frame will result in way too much oil.

You probably already knew this....just in case. :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 25, 2004 - 10:31 AM

You might not need to pull the carb. Pull the air filter off, start it without it on but do not ride it. Spray a small amount of carb cleaner in there while it is running. Should clean right up. If you squeeze your filter out good and let it dry, you shouldnt have any problem. However if you have never taken your carb off, it is about time! :cry:

Be very careful doing this! 4-strokes can and often do kick back through the carb, and you could in the least singe the hair up your arm if you've got a can of spraying carb cleaner in your hand when it kicks back! :cry:

• simch

Posted September 25, 2004 - 12:48 PM

I was thinking the same, you DID drain the frame didn't you? If not you have done 2 chages and now have about 2 litres too much oil in it!!

• Rockindog

Posted September 25, 2004 - 04:00 PM

Yup, drained the frame and engine (kept the service manual right next to me!).

So I just finished pulling and cleaning the carb. Nada. Next step is the shop. Can anyone recommend a good shop in NW Phoenix? I called around and Carefree Yamaha seems to have the best policy ($100 to diagnose it, then that's applied to the cost of the repair). I've heard horror stories about Metro (they want $150 to diagnose only, +repair and labor).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted September 25, 2004 - 06:37 PM

ok...I gotta ask. Have you installed a fresh (NEW) spark plug? If you fouled it then the plug is DONE. Get a new one and I bet she fires right up.

When I got my 426 back in 2002 I spet a whole weekend jackin around with it because I looked at the plug and thought "eh ...this thing looks ok". CHANGE THE PLUG. Since then if the bike doesn't start within 5 kicks or so I slap a plug in it. Never fails.

• Rockindog

Posted September 26, 2004 - 12:40 AM

Yea, fresh plug. You're right, the old one "looked" fine, but since I already had it out I changed it anyway.

• 4Stroke4Life

Posted September 26, 2004 - 08:28 AM

Yup, drained the frame and engine (kept the service manual right next to me!).

So I just finished pulling and cleaning the carb. Nada. Next step is the shop. Can anyone recommend a good shop in NW Phoenix? I called around and Carefree Yamaha seems to have the best policy ($100 to diagnose it, then that's applied to the cost of the repair). I've heard horror stories about Metro (they want $150 to diagnose only, +repair and labor).

• 4Stroke4Life

Posted September 26, 2004 - 08:37 AM

yeahh definitly did not mean to just quote that only... i live out in surprise, i had my bike at surprise ATV for 2 WEEKS!!! and they could not figure out what the problem was with my bike. it should be something simple... it starts... and idles... so yesterday i took it to a shop on 83rd & union hills. it is called AEO powersports. this guy does a lot of MX prep work out at some of the tracks. anway i got word he did a lot of work on four strokes, so that is where it is at right now. i will let you know how the service is though. the guys name in the back is Jamie... from first impression he seemed to know his stuff. however you don't want to hit up Surprise ATV on Gran :cheers:d and bell that is for sure. i agree, metro motorsports is a rip off!!! if anything go to YSA on cave creek and bell/union hills. by the way where do you ride??

• Rockindog

Posted September 26, 2004 - 09:00 AM

hehehehe...I went up to Surprise ATV because he had an ad in Cycle Trader for 50cc quads, and I want to get one for my kid. I figured they were pretty cheap, but I wanted to check it out. So after driving clear up there, I got a "we're out right now, but we should have more next week. I'll give you a call." He never called. Oh well. Theres a new shop on 43rd and Peoria called R ATV Werehouse. They carry Dinli kids ATVs, the prices are pretty good, and the guys are pretty cool. I don't know how their service is, or even if they service bikes, but if you're looking for quad and kid stuff, that's the place to go.

So far, I've been going up to 99th and Carefree every weekend. This is the first dirt bike I've had for quite a few years, so that's a great place to get back into riding.

• Rockindog

Posted October 03, 2004 - 01:47 PM

UPDATE: took it in to the shop (I'd exceeded my abilities...) They said the previous owner had drilled out the pilot jet to .50, so they replaced it with the stock jet. They also did a leak down test and checked the valve adjustment, both ok. When I picked it up, it went on the first kick! YAY!! This morning I went out, started after about 4 or 5 for me, but it started! Rode for about an hour then shut her down for a bit to get some water/stretch. After that, no start. Had to call it a day. Any other thoughts? I read on a thread here that one rider shuts his gas off before shutting the bike off. I didn't shut the gas off when I was resting, is it possible that it just sat there and got flooded? There were a few drips of gas coming from one the the carb hoses as I loaded the beast up.

And to top it all off, I left my stand up at the trail. There's another $15!!!

• Derekj426

Posted October 03, 2004 - 03:13 PM

Nah, that wouldn't do it, I leave mine on at the track when I rest and never ever had a problem starting it back up. Not sure what to tell ya there. Hopefully someone can help ya, if not, good luck man and please let us know what it was when it does get sorted out...

Derek
01 YZ426F

• SureBlue

Posted October 03, 2004 - 09:00 PM

Nice to hear you got it running!
You must have fouled your sparkplug, same happened to me with my 426 if I didn't use hotstart after runnin it warm. And don't twist the throttle! Starting my 450 is like from another world, always 1st or 2nd kick, cold or warm. Go for Iridium plug.
You can't get it flooded just by sitting on the bike, and it is normal the hoses drip a bit gas when tilting (loading) the bike. You said yo ran for an hour, that is just about how long a tankful lasts, did you refill at any point? :cry:

• Rockindog

Posted October 03, 2004 - 09:47 PM

Actually, no. I never thought to check the tank. I guess I'd be happy if that's all it is, but how embarasing is that?!?! :cry:

• SureBlue

Posted October 04, 2004 - 01:30 AM

Not at all embarrassing, man. Things happen, it is a long shot though, but if you only ran out of gas, it is an easy fix! But if it's not the fuel, it must be the spark plug again (even if you already changed it earlier), hard to imagine it would be something else if you just had it going for an hour and it won't fire up afterwards. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.