YZ Cam Swap - Won't Start

4 replies to this topic
  • pokey1

Posted September 24, 2004 - 02:23 PM

I put a YZ 450 exhaust cam in my WR 450.
Now the bike won't start.
When I was disassembling, I lined the crank up on the "H" mark, and the cam marks were pretty close to the top of the head. When I went to reassemble, I found the "I" mark, and timed the cams to it, the way the manual shows. The manual also shows 14 chain pins between the upper cam marks, but I have 13 with the YZ cam. :cry:

• BrandonW

Posted September 24, 2004 - 02:53 PM

I have the YZ cam in my '01 WR426, and it needs 14 pins between the punch marks.

I think your timing is off.

Sorry dude.

:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pokey1

Posted September 24, 2004 - 06:22 PM

Well, I had 14 pins the first time, but the intake cam mark was below the top of the head when the exhaust mark was even. It wouldn't start then either. :cry:

• BrandonW

Posted September 25, 2004 - 08:32 AM

Hummm....?

Check out this thread. It has pictures of the cams, from both sides. This is how it should look.

Keep working, as the end result is WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!

:cry:

CLICK HERE!

• pokey1

Posted September 25, 2004 - 06:50 PM

Tried it again. Didn't look right. Mark on exhaust cam is one tooth below top of head, but 14 pins between top marks.
It started though. :cry:
Thanks for your reply, Brandon. I saw that thread when I did a search a coupla days ago, but I thought maybe the 450 was different.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.