XR600 or XR400?

5 replies to this topic
  • Abomb

Posted February 22, 2002 - 07:44 AM

I'm trying to figure out which bike would be better for me. I'm selling my ATV and will be getting either an XR400 or XR600. I have 12 years experience riding cycles and will mostly be riding woods type trails. 6'3" and about 190 pounds. Right now my choice is between a 99 XR400 all stock or a 95 XR600 stock other than a Supertrapp exhaust, speedometer and street licensed. Both are in excellent condition and the 600 is about $400 cheaper than the 400. Anyone have any suggestions???

• ossagp1

Posted February 22, 2002 - 08:23 AM

I have owned several xr500's and 600's and love them. I have never owned an xr400 but for what you have described I would spend the extra money on the more current 400. we are about the same size, and I have ridden the 400 in the woods and it is way better there than any of my 600's were and it is as fast as my 500's. For desert etc tho I will still take my 600's.

• MaXRSmart

Posted February 22, 2002 - 08:48 AM

If you are planning to do any dual-sport riding, get the 600 because the seat is like a couch. I never get monkey butt riding my 600 on really long rides. The 600 has great power but is a little heavy for the tight stuff. If you like tight woods riding and want a light more nimble bike, go for the 400.

MaXRSmart :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Woodzi

Posted February 22, 2002 - 08:57 AM

Do you prefer power or handling? The 600 has good power, but is a bit of a handful in really tight going (although it works a lot better than you would expect for a 280+ LB machine). With your size this will be less of an issue. The 400 has enough power to do the job and handles the tight stuff really well. I am the same size as you and I prefer the 600 because of the power, butI think most people like the 400 better.

Both are great bikes.

• Abomb

Posted February 22, 2002 - 11:03 AM

I'm going to look at the 600 tonight and the 400 tomorrow and make my decision after that. The way it sounds though, I think I am better off going with the 400. I already have a street bike so there won't be much on-road riding if any. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for all the help.

• Abomb

Posted February 24, 2002 - 04:58 PM

I looked at the 95 XR600 Friday night and was a little let down. It was supposed to be in excellent shape, but there was a lot of paint missing from the frame. The headlight only worked interemittantly and there was a big ding in the front rim. Other than that, it ran strong (other than in need of a valve job) and was already registered for street use.

Saturday I went to look at the 99 XR400 and was thoroughly impressed. Hardly any paint was worn off the frame where boots normally wear it off. Also, there wasn't really any paint worn off fromt he bottom of the frame underneath the bike! This thing was not ridden much at all. It had a new rear tire, red fenders and the previous owner had installed the Baja Designs (so I'm told) kit to be able to make it street legal. It hasn't been registered yet, so there will be some work in that if I decide to do it. There wasn't a speedometer and the tires were not DOT approved. All in all, this bike was definitely the best deal, so I ended up putting some money down on it and will be picking it up in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I look forward to learning more from everyone on this board.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.