Are All XR650R the same?

11 replies to this topic
  • tuts

Posted February 21, 2002 - 01:07 AM

is there a good year? is there a bad year? what upgrades are 'necessary'? is a ktm compaable to an xr650? thanks

• hourout

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:42 AM

??? they apear to be.

• mntnmissle

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:52 AM

As far a I know the only thing that has changed over the years is the clutch bushing. The bike needs to be uncorked to run right. Go to XR650R.net you find a lot of information on how to make it run right, accessories, etc......

• qadsan

Posted February 21, 2002 - 06:13 AM

Originally posted by mntnmissle:
[QB]As far a I know the only thing that has changed over the years is the clutch bushing../QB]

And don't forget those graphics that changed :) I think the 02 seats with the black stripe enhances the eye-candy factor, but doesn't do much for performance :D . As far as I know, only the clutch bushing and some of the graphics have changed. Anybody else know anything different?

• MaXRSmart

Posted February 21, 2002 - 06:54 AM

qadsan, I think the term you are looking for is BOLD NEW GRAPHICS!!! It is a term I got very familar with on the XR600 for 10 years. :)

MaXRSmart :D

• qadsan

Posted February 21, 2002 - 07:44 PM

Originally posted by MaXRSmart:
qadsan, I think the term you are looking for is BOLD NEW GRAPHICS!!!...

That's exactly the term I was looking for! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1WldDr

Posted March 03, 2002 - 07:37 PM

Tuts, I answered your question on another topic, but I will reply here also.

The 2002 XR650R had the clutch bushing modified/improved, AND the counter shaft oil seal beefed up. Other than that, the 2000-2002 are the same except for the BNG.

As for comparison between the KTM 520 and XR650R, it is like night and day. You just need to decide what is best for you.

The KTM needs no or little modification. It rips stock (and costs about $2000 more). The XR needs LOTS of mods to make it fast (I can tell you what, where, when, etc. as I have done it, send me a PM). And after all the money you put into it, you still have a bike that is 30# heavier, and doesn't have an electric start.

But when you are in the XR's element (fast open desert), and have modified it, there are few others like it. The thing just flat hauls ass.

Doc

• YZ400Court

Posted March 04, 2002 - 06:22 AM

Originally posted by 1WldDr:

The KTM needs no or little modification. It rips stock (and costs about $2000 more).
Doc

Her is the list of mods done to my 520 EXC to make it reliable desert ready bike:
<ul type="square">[*] Skid plate[*] shark fin[*] steering damper[*] suspension respring and revalve[*] slave cylinder gaurd[*] clutch hose (stocker is plastic)[*] heim bearing gaurd[*] handgaurds[*] tires and tubes (both flat the first ride)[*] soft seat foam to replace the 2X4
[/list]total cost somewhere around $1200.00 Now the KTM cost 3200 bucks more :) . It was a sweet ride, just too damn much money.

• needsprayer

Posted March 04, 2002 - 09:18 AM

Hi Doc,

Had to wade in on this one.

"The XR needs LOTS of mods to make it fast"

Please don't confuse fast with looks good. For under $30 and a little work you can uncork the BRP. This includes the cost of rejetting, cutting on restrictive air manifold and hole drilling on the exhaust bafffle tip.

$120 max for all new OEM parts (jets, manifold & baffle tip).

There is no better exhaust system than the stock one. You get looks only (and trade low end for top end) for hundreds of dollars.

Some costs are a wash for both bikes.

Glad you liked the flooding recovery tip. :)

• needsprayer

Posted March 04, 2002 - 09:19 AM

Please delete

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: needsprayer ]

• needsprayer

Posted March 04, 2002 - 09:20 AM

Please delete.

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: needsprayer ]

• 1WldDr

Posted March 04, 2002 - 05:01 PM

Gotta agree with you there, Needsprayer. If you want to "do it yourself", then the baffle fix, jets and manifold fix are as you say.

Here is a link for those that are interested under "Making the XR650R run right" and also check out the Honda's race tips.

XR650R.net

I have done them all, and it a must (unless you like a boring XR650R).

Doc

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.