maxxis is a diguised cheng shin!

55 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted June 25, 2005 - 04:27 AM

they say where they're made on the bead,so you can't tell after its mounted :D i've got nothing but praise for the SI front but the rear seems to be giving up the ghost a little faster than expected :D the traction the rear has is phenomenal but not that much better than the trelleborg tenmaster that lasted like the energizer bunny :D in fact i had to take the trelle off with good tread left just because i got tired of waiting for it to wear out and wanted to see how the SI rear would perform :) performs well wears fast :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 26, 2005 - 12:54 PM

Indy, is it a soft tire? I don't mind changing them out frequently if they stick. The IT front seems to skate too much for my tastes when I'm really on it through a fast corner. I need something that stays a little more planted.

No it is a soft/intermediate tire that works very well on hard pack as well! :)

• clark4131

Posted June 26, 2005 - 03:43 PM

I'm mounting the Desert IT on the rear end tomorrow for a big ride Wednesday, so I'm anxious to see how well it does over the OEM 739. I put a Dunlop 756 on the front a couple of days ago to see how it would do and it was beautiful! That sucker just plain sticks! I just don't understand the thinking behind a soft tire in the back and a hard one in the front. Another interesting sidenote is that the tread pattern of the D756 front and the Maxxis SI are almost identical. Now the question is how much longer will one last over the other? ...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 26, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Just try the SI front! :) Best front tire I have ever ran period! :)

• clark4131

Posted June 26, 2005 - 07:30 PM

As soon as the new Dunlop gives up the ghost, I'm gonna give the SI a shot at the title...SC

• obgod3

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:59 PM

When you guys are talking about the SI are you talking about the 80/100x21 Maxxis Maxx Cross Soft/Intermediate Terrain?

• stonewall

Posted January 01, 2006 - 03:36 PM

When you guys are talking about the SI are you talking about the 80/100x21 Maxxis Maxx Cross Soft/Intermediate Terrain?

Yes, that's the Maxxis SI everyone is talking about.

• WildRide

Posted January 01, 2006 - 03:40 PM

Maxxis produces an outstanding tire at any price IMHO. Just because they are owned by Cheng Shin has very little if any bearing on the matter. I tried some Maxxis tires on my street bike and they were far better than any Michelins, Dunlops or Metzeler tire I had on during previous tire changes AND they are wearing better too boot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baha

Posted January 01, 2006 - 03:49 PM

imotorcyclestore.com has free shiping on tires, I got set of Metzelers to my door for 118, they also have Maxiss as wll as that FRENCH tire that Indy likes- sorry can't do the French CO. thing. Seem to have had the best deal no matter what brand!!!! The Metzelers are made in Brazil, I hear the French one is from Spain, I think the Maxiss is used rubbers from Bangkok!

• goodluckmonkey

Posted January 01, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Currently using a Maxxis IT on the rear of the WR, and it grips well considering its price.

Last enduro i rode, the WR was easily going up the hard option climbs that very few other bikes could get up. The wear rate on the IT is very good too. Significantly better than the dunlop that came off there.

I have changed from the Maxxis IT front to a Michelin M12, and gained a little front end grip in poorer conditions.

I'll happily run the Maxxis' on the rear from now on though. Great tyres in my opinion. :applause:

• WildRide

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:26 PM

I really like Maxxis tires but I am currently running IRCs on my WR426 and my sons YF250F because we bought 7 (2- 18"R + 2-19"R & 3-21"F) brand new IRCs in a deal off Craigslist, all 7 for $100. So far they seem a lot like the Maxxis as far as wear.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 02, 2006 - 09:28 AM

I'm all over the map on tires. Since Indy and others love the Michelins I went out and bought a set of M12's a couple of months ago. The front tire is excellent, the thing sticks to everything, the rear M12 is almost like a paddle with grooves in it, kind of like an IRC M5B, great hook up but doesn't turn as good as I would like it to.

Getting back to the Maxxis, they are well respected by those who ride long distances, they hold up forever. They're real tough tires. I just put a set of IT's and Bridgestone Ultra's on my fathers 06. The rear IT with the Ultra tube is a challenge to install to say the least, but he'll never get a flat... I don't think the IT's are the best tires for everything but they're great for what they are, a long lasting tire...

PS, since they're made in Dongchi Taiwan does that mean we can now buy them at Walmart?... hahahaha :applause:

• baha

Posted January 02, 2006 - 11:30 AM

The WAL MART in Lake Co- Lake Co Commisary- has ATV tires and I just checked- You can order Quad tires at Walmart.com....

God help us!!!!!

• JCORMI

Posted January 03, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Does anyone have any riding time on the pavement with the IT tire? Had a dunlop 606 on the drz and that was decent. I won't be doing much road riding, but will definitely be connecting trails which can sometimes be 15-20 miles at a time.

• moach1

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:21 PM

i dont care if they are made by k mart, they are a great tire

• tntmo

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:50 PM

Does anyone have any riding time on the pavement with the IT tire? Had a dunlop 606 on the drz and that was decent. I won't be doing much road riding, but will definitely be connecting trails which can sometimes be 15-20 miles at a time.

I have ridden my WR to work a few times, about 25 miles round trip and the IT tires seem just fine on the pavement.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.