XR650R for a BIG guy riding in CT woods?!

13 replies to this topic
  • Futura

Posted February 20, 2002 - 06:13 PM

I have a question fer alla y'all who are riders of the XR650R... I am 6'5" and 260 lbs, novice off-roader...

FYI: I currently ride a KLR650, which I've geared down, jetted, Supertrapped, K&N'd, put some heavier springs and shock on it, and a few pieces of armor... I dual sport it, and the bike sees a LOT of dirt roads and relatively easy trails... It's been a great ride and it's done everything I've asked of it EXCEPT give me a full-on O/R experience... as you may know, the thing weighs 400 lbs and if/when I drop it (and I have), it always involves at least a turn signal replacement and usually more than that... SO, I'm lookin' for a REAL dirt bike that's going to be a LOT more easy to manage off-road than the KLR (which would become my full-on street ride with gearing & tire changes)...

OK, SO, here's my question (BTW I've read the mags (saying XR650R is a NV/Baja bike and the Honda Marketing brochures, etc. too -- and I'm asking YOU instead of just 'believing what I read'):

Is the XR650R gonna do something for me here in THE TIGHT@$$ WOODS in CT? I need something that can go slow and doesn't feel like 400 lbs... Thing is, my impression is that the XR650 would be my best choice if I were livin' back in San Diego... where I could take her down to Baja or to Borrego or to Santa Clarita... but I'm in CT now, so...

Would you recommend the bike to me for the CT WOODS? If so: What mods would you recommend so that I could get it set up 'proper like' for said use?

I do think that I could get a great deal on the XR650R here because, everyone else with my kinda interest is demandin' / buyin' XR400s, WR426s, DRZ400s and KTM400s or 520s... SO, I just might be able to swing a good deal...

As you may surmise, I am not of the racing persuasion and I'm pretty easy-going relative to a lot of you guys who're ridin' O/R often... BTW, the Honda dealer is 'right around the corner'... which is a good thing, I guess...

Appreciate any helpful advice or whatever that you might offer.

Regards, F

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted February 20, 2002 - 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Futura:
I have a question fer alla y'all who are riders of the XR650R... I am 6'5" and 260 lbs, novice off-roader...

FYI: I currently ride a KLR650, which I've geared down, jetted, Supertrapped, K&N'd, put some heavier springs and shock on it, and a few pieces of armor... I dual sport it, and the bike sees a LOT of dirt roads and relatively easy trails... It's been a great ride and it's done everything I've asked of it EXCEPT give me a full-on O/R experience... as you may know, the thing weighs 400 lbs and if/when I drop it (and I have), it always involves at least a turn signal replacement and usually more than that... SO, I'm lookin' for a REAL dirt bike that's going to be a LOT more easy to manage off-road than the KLR (which would become my full-on street ride with gearing & tire changes)...

OK, SO, here's my question (BTW I've read the mags (saying XR650R is a NV/Baja bike and the Honda Marketing brochures, etc. too -- and I'm asking YOU instead of just 'believing what I read'):

Is the XR650R gonna do something for me here in THE TIGHT@$$ WOODS in CT? I need something that can go slow and doesn't feel like 400 lbs... Thing is, my impression is that the XR650 would be my best choice if I were livin' back in San Diego... where I could take her down to Baja or to Borrego or to Santa Clarita... but I'm in CT now, so...

Would you recommend the bike to me for the CT WOODS? If so: What mods would you recommend so that I could get it set up 'proper like' for said use?

I do think that I could get a great deal on the XR650R here because, everyone else with my kinda interest is demandin' / buyin' XR400s, WR426s, DRZ400s and KTM400s or 520s... SO, I just might be able to swing a good deal...

As you may surmise, I am not of the racing persuasion and I'm pretty easy-going relative to a lot of you guys who're ridin' O/R often... BTW, the Honda dealer is 'right around the corner'... which is a good thing, I guess...

Appreciate any helpful advice or whatever that you might offer.

Regards, F

Futura,

Just call me on my cell @ 520 420 2457 and I'll give you the best insight I can after hearing your needs and riding style in detail, ok?

Thanks,

jay

• hourout

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:39 AM

i feel your pain. :) i also had to dich my xr 650L because of it offroad weight and the klr has to be worse. i went with the xr 650R im 6'2" and 270. i live in nj and the woods are tight. i love the bike and the price was good. my mods are a 48 rear, wb e-series, uncorked, 46kg fork spring and 11.5kg shockspring, wer stabilier,src hand gards,forkbrace, radiator cap, thermistat, moose skidplate. the bike rips and is a fun ride. it has plenty of power down low to crawl though the nasty single track and builds incredible power mid and top for the open areas. all of my friends have had ktm and they have all sold them. two reasons kost to much and too much time spent wrenching. other bikes to consider being our size is the drz and wr 426 but im sticking with the xr. i hope this helps. :D

• YZ400Court

Posted February 21, 2002 - 06:29 PM

Originally posted by jpeters:

Futura,

Just call me on my cell @ 520 420 2457 and I'll give you the best insight I can after hearing your needs and riding style in detail, ok?

Thanks,

jay

OR you could share it here where we can all read it.

I would go for anything but the 650. It is a very heavy bike. The KTM 520 is awsome if you can stomach the price, and have the suspension sprung and valved.

• David_Moore

Posted February 22, 2002 - 06:06 PM

Hey I'm a big guy too 6'2" 300 lbs. and ride here in N.H. I think the bigger you are the better it is on the 650r. I ride my in open pits, tight trails, on the ovals on ice , and it is street legal.They say if you aren't atleast 250 lbs. you are waisting your time.

• Futura

Posted February 23, 2002 - 04:49 AM

Hey, all right... Thanks everybody for the replies... and Jay: I'm gonna try to get through to you today, Sat. 2/23...

OK, so I'm hearing from a couple of BIG guys that they are finding the XR650R workable for the Eastern rough & tight stuff, with appropriate mods... After hearing from you guys, I am now seriously entertaining the XR650 as a choice, running it up against the WR426F and the Suzi DRZ400E for my new ride choice...

I've dropped the follwing bikes out of contention: (1) Cannondale E440 (total cost of ownership is too high), (2 & 3) the KTM 400 & 520 (GREAT bikes, but total cost of ownership too high for me), (4) the YZ426F (not appropriate w/o mods for my most likely style of riding) and (4) the XR400 (least expensive, but probably underpowered for my purposes, as I will demand more from a bike as I get better at riding, over time)...

I fully understand that the XR650R just ain't a flickable, zappy kinda bike (though with mods, it can be made much more responsive)... but I've always owned a thumper anyway: XT550, KLR650... and the XR6560R is HEAVY by a lot of O/R folks' standards... (Hey, SO AM I...) BUT, I have to weigh into the equation that I AM USED TO HORSING AROUND ABOUT 390 LBS of KLR650 in some pretty tight stuff, if you can imagine that... SO, for anyone who says that the XR650R is heavy, well... !yeah! BUT, relatively speaking, using the XR650R I will still have dropped 80 - 100 lbs (!) in moving from my KLR to an XR650R... ALONG WITH getting the XR bike design that is made for full-on off-road use versus a BIG do-it-all design... Try tackling a set of 2-3 foot sandy whoops on a KLR...

I think the two main things I'd do to the XR -- right off the bat, IF I were to get one -- would be to get the triple clamp / bar ergos dialed in and then to get the suspension set up for my weight and relatively slow, rocky, bumpy, gravelly, logjam, watercrossing, hill-climbing, muddy terrain... That's what I've done with my KLR... and there are times when I just turn around on some trails because better judgement tells me "Don't go there with this bike"...

BTW: One thing to note... my KLR650 has a thermostatically-controlled (auto) electric fan to blow air across the radiator when the engine heats up a alot (e.g. during slow riding on a hot day) ... and it sure does heat up... Now, none of the O/R bikes I'm looking at have this feature, and I'm concerned about overheating with the way I ride --and about the XR in particular -- I've read to put a higher-pressure rated cap on the radiator, but that increases stresses elswhere, too... Any thoughts on this?

Anyway, AFTER ERGO/SUSPENSION SET-UP AND SOME RIDING TO GET THE FEEL of the uncorked bike, I'd progressively uncork and add some power / performance mods... I'm just thinkin', first things first: the bike's gotta fit and be sprung up properly because, otherwise, the rider just can't well manage any power/performance -related mods anyway... and I won't be racing either, so it's not about just 'amping it up' cause I'm doing hare scrambles, GNCC or Baja-blitz styles of riding... but I WILL become better at riding O/R and start to challenge myself and the bike a lot more and, when I do, I'll probably eventually want more power and zap to get my BIG @$$ over the river and through the woods...

Above approach was what I did with my KLR and, so far, so good... Thing is, with the KLR, I just bought the recommended Progressive suspension parts, and had my dealer do the installs... If I go for the XR650 (or either of the contenders: a Suzi DRZ400E, which I think IS A BETTER TRAIL BIKE FOR THE NE WOODS or a WR426 which seems to get a LOT of good press from riders), I am going to get my suspension set up by Pro Action (or the like kind of service) for my weight and riding style...

I'm still on the fence about what to buy, and I've been putting together spreadsheets on dealer costs, internet prcies, financing, relative advantages / disadvantages of each bike, what the dealers say and how they treat me, how willing they are to deal, etc.... AND I AM LISTENING TO WHAT YOU GUYS ALL HAVE TO SAY... I'm tellin' ya, I am havin' a ball learning about all this stuff while I'm just going through my buying decision...

But, at some point in the next few months, there's gonna be a new O/R bike sitting beside my KLR in the garage... the better that new bike fits and carries me, and the less it costs in maintenance time and money to own it, the better off I'll be and the more enjoyment I am going to get out of it... period... I'm in it for the PURE FUN OF RIDING and, beyond that, I could really give 2 $#!+$, to be honest...

Hey, if you've been patient enough to read all the way through this, thanks... Your thoughts are welcomed, so go for it. Have a good one.

F over and out.

• wrRemo

Posted February 24, 2002 - 10:14 PM

Futura,

To add my 2 cents, my youngest brother is 6'4, 260. He was riding a '99 XR600, and it seemed perfect for him. The XR650 should be even better. I ride a WR400, so I know how good the 426 is, but for someone your size I think the XR is the way to go. As much as I love my WR the one thing I wish it had was XR comfort. Something to keep in mind! :) :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRSpeedRacer

Posted February 27, 2002 - 07:29 AM

im 6-7 230lbs.......the bike is perfect for me. i9 have friends of smaller stature and they cant move the bike around at all adn so they say it is clumsy. you ahve to look at the source. a smaller guy on a 520 wont be able to handle his bike any better than you would on a 650. you seem like a fairly big guy and seeing how im only 230 adn flick it around with ease, you shouldnt have a problem at all. one thing i think you should do first though is get he HRC power up kit.....not he piston kit, but the restriction removal kit......jets, exhaust baffle, intake restriction removal....when i had mine done....it felt like a crazy wild animal. freakin POWERFUL.

• trivial

Posted February 28, 2002 - 01:12 PM

6'6" & 310lbs with gear on...I don't have any problem throwing the bike around. It will definatley get you where you want to go (LOTS of POWER)! The overheating is not as much of an issue once it is jetted correctly.
You need to step over to the 650r group on Yahoo...they know everything about the bike. There is plenty to read in the archives about it as well.

try here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/

• needsprayer

Posted February 28, 2002 - 01:42 PM

Futura,

Who said the XR650R isn't zappy? Uncork it, jet it right and hang on.

As far as I am concerned I couldn't handle any more power delivery.

The BRP will rip your arms off if you aren't ready to rock and roll. Top end is great (I've run 90+ mph on primitive roads). :)

Also, I am 5'-8" and 200 lbs. I have no problem kicking the BRP up when needed, i.e coming out of sandy turns and getting a little loose. It's because it's so well balanced. Good knobby tires help too.

• Futura

Posted February 28, 2002 - 06:17 PM

Hey, thanks again for the replies... Based on what some of you BIG guys are sayin', it's no doubt that I can rig the XR for my needs... I'm a total traitor, though -- talkin' with folks over on the DRZ board... I am interested in the wheelbase/rake/trail on that Suzi, given the kind of riding that I'll be doing most of the time... I am still going to keep the XR in mind, and I'm going to take the good advice of several people to go TRY RIDING SOME OF THESE BIKES AT THE LOCAL CLUB BEFORE I BUY (hopefully, somebody will be good enough to let me have a go for a short ride on their XR, DRZ or WR...

Not so BTW: Jay gave me a really good overview on the XR during a phone call this past Sunday... I took notes! If I find that the DRZ is not going to do it for me, then the BIG RED DOG may just have a home in my garage... None of my big three is yet out of the running, but I think the DRZ and the XR have got the top spots right now... the WR is right there, barring the price and availability (which are interrelated, because of the demand here)...

Anyway, I'm printing your comments for my research file, and I can't thank you all enough for bein' so good about givin' me some info...

Take care. F

• Futura

Posted February 28, 2002 - 06:25 PM

Ok, yeah... You guys are callin' me out on what I said about the XR650 not being flickable or zappy... Yup, I know jack from personal experience -- I'm just talkin' what I read about the XR600R... and from what I read and what you and jay had to say, it sounds like a modified XR is very responsive... and the design is really good, so that it doesn't feel so heavy... maybe not flickable in the Shane Watts KTM 200 sense, but manageable enough for government woods work...
OK, yeah, I hear ya and I'll still be lookin' into this bike without letting those biases rule me...

Thanks again. F

• Dieselchild

Posted March 01, 2002 - 12:05 PM

I'm 6'6" 245 and although I don't ride an XR650 (I ride a CRF) I ride with David Moore on his XR650. We switch bikes often and I gotta say I love the big XR. Throttle wheelies any gear any time you want. Big square edged bumps...no problem just turn the loud handle and plow right over it. Doesn't even upset the chassis or anything.

I watch David ride that thing and I swear the trees move a little bit out of the way when he's comin through the woods. :)

• terryhotshoe

Posted March 01, 2002 - 01:59 PM

Go for it I been riding 40 years off road although I weight in at 175 its no problem in the tights .I passed 426 s, 520 s in tight sand washs a guy your size will have no problem with the bike just gear it down and watch yourself become a better rider.my 2 cents terry.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.