Road use WR450F

11 replies to this topic
  • JustAL

Posted September 23, 2004 - 06:43 PM

Hey folks,

Lookie! First post. I'm interested in a WR450F with it's main intention being tarmac use with the odd jaunt up into the bush.

Questions I have though are,

How often will I be required to service it?
Is there a workshop manual available online for download?

Are there any tanks larger than 15L available?
How well do the tail tanks stack up....would you recommend them?

Are there, (Ahem) pillion pegs available? Reason I ask this is that I'd be looking to occasionally ferry the odd person around. I don't think I'd have too many takers after the first time they try to pick the seat from their wedgie.

Any links to companies that provide mods (Motard bits and pieces, tanks and such) would be greatly appreciated.

I've just run a search and DARN! I'm overwhelmed! LOL

Thanks very much for all your help guys!

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 23, 2004 - 06:53 PM

Check out ziptyracing.com I bought a ton of stuff from there. Prices are good, and Ty definately knows how to tweak the Yamahas the right way. Also 4strokesonly has some obscure stuff too.

Off the subject, I see you're from Melbourne, Australia. I know this is a shot in the dark as Melbourne is a massive city, but do you know a girl about 26 years old named Claire Stewart? She looks just like Kate Hudson. I used to date her while she was in the states.
Worth a shot.

• JustAL

Posted September 23, 2004 - 07:02 PM

Check out ziptyracing.com I bought a ton of stuff from there. Prices are good, and Ty definately knows how to tweak the Yamahas the right way. Also 4strokesonly has some obscure stuff too.

Off the subject, I see you're from Melbourne, Australia. I know this is a shot in the dark as Melbourne is a massive city, but do you know a girl about 26 years old named Claire Stewart? She looks just like Kate Hudson. I used to date her while she was in the states.
Worth a shot.

LMAO....it's good to see things never change. I grew up in Singapore and keep getting asked the same questions.

I don't think I know that Claire. When I first read through it, I saw "Claire" and "26" and thought, "DAMN, I do know her!"

She doesn't look like Kate though. A stunner but not Kate.

Thanks for the sites....I've got something to look for, here at work now. :cry:

Cheers

• mousemeat

Posted September 24, 2004 - 02:07 AM

Your primary concerns on the road are:

1. Boiling over at a traffic light, some people have rigged up radiator fans.
2. Hurting your tranny because of no cush drive. Talon makes a cush drive hub, so look into it if you are going to get motard wheels. THat said, plenty of people have had no problems.
3. Noise. Uncorked its a bit too loud. Stock baffle is too restrictive. PMB or yamaha GYT inserts are available and seem to be a good compromise. Going to get one myself soon.

• CHRIS_SARICH

Posted September 24, 2004 - 05:24 AM

Yeah I agree with mousemeat the wr is a great bike but its not really made for extended time on the road unless you do some fairly serious and expensive mods. It pains me to say it but if you are only gunna be having the odd jaunt in the bush maybe something like a XR650 would be better suited.

• chipwich

Posted September 24, 2004 - 12:23 PM

a couple of more suggestions:

1. disconnect the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to get rid of rough running at low to mid throttle settings on the street. it's an easy mod that you can reconnect if you don't like it. lots of posts here, so do a search on TPS. made a BIG difference on my WR. :cry:

2. go up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. stock gearing is great allround off road gearing, but too low for the street.

optional: DOT knobbies like the Dunlop D606. i also replaced the brake/stoplight with a LED one to prevent the headlight from dimming when putting the brakes on. of course you may have the enduro version with some of these mods anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chipwich

Posted September 24, 2004 - 12:29 PM

by the way, although there are many larger tanks available, on the street the stock one matches pretty well with the limits of my ass. :cry: so i'd try it before making a tank change.

i love riding mine on the street. makes a great hooligan bike! not a freeway flyer, but titts around town and dual sporting.

• Brettv

Posted September 25, 2004 - 04:00 AM

G'day, JustAL, im from melbourne too, in blackburn, ive got a wrf400 in the shed im doing up at the moment. where abouts u from?
Cheers - Brett :cry:

• JustAL

Posted September 26, 2004 - 05:04 PM

G'day, JustAL, im from melbourne too, in blackburn, ive got a wrf400 in the shed im doing up at the moment. where abouts u from?
Cheers - Brett :cry:

Hey Brett,

Sweet. I'm in Carnegie...currently doing up a mate's VFR800 that I decked on the weekend which wasn't so bad. Came out looking good.

Then I moved it out of the garage this morning to get the car out and it fell off the side stand.

Broken clutch lever, scratched left fairings.

I feel like such a sorry prick at the moment

How much was the WR when you got it? I'm thinking of building something too.

Yet to decide though.

Cheers
Al
:cry:

• motionmama

Posted September 26, 2004 - 06:53 PM

Hello down under. Doesn't the Wr450(AU) come with street legal stuff? Seems like I saw that on the yamaha site for AU. There is a safari tank that holds 25l available through an AU dealer. I am desperately trying to get one. If you could help me I would be very grateful. thank you

• JustAL

Posted September 26, 2004 - 11:39 PM

Yeap. The WR is street legal as are the majority of thumpers down here however I was wondering how well it would handle road use as (being use to road bikes)I'm not too sure when to service one (Can you do it every 2500KMs?) or how well it's suited to road use.

Yammie does have a factory motard kit available but things like radiator fans and that aren't available.

Hello down under. Doesn't the Wr450(AU) come with street legal stuff? Seems like I saw that on the yamaha site for AU. There is a safari tank that holds 25l available through an AU dealer. I am desperately trying to get one. If you could help me I would be very grateful. thank you

• Brettv

Posted September 27, 2004 - 02:54 AM

hey AL, i got my wr for $4200, through the trading post, pretty cheap actually, the guy through in a e-series pro meg race pipe worth $700, and a few YZF plastics, because i wanted to try and get it registered ive had to spend a bit on it. road tires, new blinkers, wiring, chain sliders, then the other month found out that all the swingamr, linkae bearings were rooted, so ive spent a bit on it now, but at least now i know everythings ok. about servicing, if u do a search on the site theres heaps of info, i would suggest every 500km for these bikes, i used to own a cbr250, and yeah u know every 2500 - 5000 was ok for oil and that, but because of the low oil capacity of these bikes more frequent maintanance is necessary. bummer about droppin the bike !!! :cry: dont worry ive done that before! haha, ive ridden the wrf on the road a few times and it bloody rips, cant wait to finish it :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.