way to tone down a 426??

24 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted October 04, 2004 - 10:35 AM

I think you would be much happier with a 250F or CRF250............It will have a heck of a lot more power and snap than the XR's...You will agree if you ride one....

• gonzo

Posted October 04, 2004 - 11:33 AM

Get a YZ125

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426FPilot

Posted October 04, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Ok, first of all when you get to the 426-450 range in the yamaha 4-strokes you're talking about open-class power. Ive been riding for about 15 years now. I went from an 86 XR200 to a 93 WR250 2 srtoke when I was 16. I rode the snot outta that 200 for 4 years. I was more than ready to step up. But the power delivery on the WR was WAAAY smoother on the bottom end cos it had WAAAY less.If you didnt want to deal with the hit, you;d just ride it a gear high.
Now Ive got an 02 YZ426 & I ride trails and desert with it. That thing is an animal on the trails. You have to have steady throttle hand cos when you twist it, IT GOES! Nomatter what gear you are in! You could just ride your XR through the trails pinned everywhere, try that with the 426 & you'll be launching off cliffs or bouncing off trees before you learn how to handle it.

If I were you I'd look into a WR250 2 stroke, or find a clean WR400. IMO: the WR250 is the best choice.

• mousemeat

Posted October 04, 2004 - 03:04 PM

Another vote for the wr throttle stop screw.

No rejetting, cheap, easy to install and remove. I like the idea of filing it down bit by bit. The only downside is going to be:

You: "Daaaaaaaaaad! I need more power."
Dad: "Resurface my driveway and we'll file off another thread."

• TimFurryBalls

Posted October 04, 2004 - 03:36 PM

Change your cam timing to WR timing, go a tooth less on the rear sprocket, get a flywheel weight.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.