Where to get Inverted Forks for 650R?

6 replies to this topic
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted February 17, 2002 - 03:33 PM

Anyone know where to get a used CR250 or CR500 front fork set up for the XR650R?

Any ideas?

Thanks

• David_Moore

Posted February 17, 2002 - 04:38 PM

don't look at all!! those forks are the best conventional forks out there, just get them revalved and new springs to suit your riding.

• quickbrit

Posted February 18, 2002 - 04:30 PM

I believe that you can get a pair or CR250's to fit with a little massaging.

MikeE
www.2wf.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • terry_west

Posted February 18, 2002 - 04:50 PM

Be very careful with the up-side down fork conversion. One of the very first tests done on the 650 back in 2000 was a conversion to the other forks, resulting in cracked frames. I am not sure which magazine the test was in but i distinctly remember the problem. I was contemplating doing the same until I saw the report. It seems that the alum. frame is not stressed for the additional ridgidity of unconventional forks. Besides if they worked better, I'll bet Team Honda would be using them.

• RedThunder

Posted February 18, 2002 - 08:09 PM

DIRT BIKE magazine did a hop-up article on the XR650 some time ago. They installed the fork from a '97 CR250. Evidently it shaved a couple pounds (big deal) and worked great. However, Honda had a fit when they saw the article. They claimed the added stress the inverted fork put on the stearing head would cause the frame to crack.

• ossagp1

Posted February 19, 2002 - 10:03 PM

Some years ago you likely will remember it was the rage to have upside-downs on the 600 too. I rode a friend's with that conversion and liked the way it cornered,,it was crisper. I didnt like the choppiness though. It seemed even harder on my hands. While it could have been valving, I did what some others did and simply mounted some showa cartridge conventionals in the stock clamps. It was worth it. Then Honda did it for us in what,,about 94 or 95?

• Ken_Jones

Posted February 20, 2002 - 02:00 PM

What, are you crazy Jay??? You just need a little practice riding after that horrible experience the the Dale dude... The Honda is almost perfect the way it is...
Motorcycle Ken...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.