Best Edelbrock Carb Set Up For 5,000 Feet?

10 replies to this topic
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted February 15, 2002 - 03:32 PM

Anyone have a pumper carb set up on their XR650R for 5,000 feet?

Please share the proper set up for this elevation...

THanks.

• mntnmissle

Posted February 15, 2002 - 09:43 PM

Jay,
I've been running mine in Denver. 17E needle 11 clicks out from rich.

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted February 19, 2002 - 06:09 PM

Originally posted by mntnmissle:
Jay,
I've been running mine in Denver. 17E needle 11 clicks out from rich.

What elevation do you ride at mostly?

I just got my carb today!

• mntnmissle

Posted February 19, 2002 - 07:25 PM

I haven't had it in the high country yet,snow. Have only run it from about 4000 ft to 5500 ft. No changes were made.

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted February 27, 2002 - 10:29 PM

I haven't had it in the high country yet,snow. Have only run it from about 4000 ft to 5500 ft. No changes were made.

Is all the way "IN" on the adjuster "RICH" and all the way "OUT" lean?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mntnmissle

Posted February 28, 2002 - 09:13 AM

Jay.
Rich is Clockwise in. Lean is Counter clockwise out. Did you get a manual with your carb? IF not Ican scan mine and email it to you.

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted March 10, 2002 - 06:16 AM

Jay.
Rich is Clockwise in. Lean is Counter clockwise out. Did you get a manual with your carb? IF not Ican scan mine and email it to you.

Thanks!

The carb works absolutely awesome! Bike starts first kick every time - even after falling!

Only thing I need to do now is lean out the pumper mechanism with the screw on the bottom.

Which way do I adjust the screw to "lean out" the pumper?

jay

• qadsan

Posted March 10, 2002 - 01:49 PM

Originally posted by jpeters:
..Which way do I adjust the screw to "lean out" the pumper?
jay

Right = Richer / Left = Leaner

It doesn't take much to make a significant adjustment to the pump, so do it in 1/4 turns at a time if you feel you need to adjust it. Simple huh? And you don't have to take your carb apart or take it off your bike to adjust it!

Glad to hear you like your carb. It's a great upgrade to make your bike a one kick starter with vastly improved throttle response from down low. Happy Trails!

• CB129Rider

Posted October 27, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hmmm, I've been drooling over that Edelbrock for my '93 XR600R, good to know it is actually an upgrade! Thanks for the info.

• creeky

Posted October 28, 2007 - 03:38 AM

I've took my son's 650R (Edelbrock pumper) to Taylor Park a couple of years ago, 17E needle, 15 clicks out from full rich, worked great.

• Crit Rat

Posted June 19, 2009 - 09:40 AM

What do you Colorado XRR riders with Edelbrocks have for setups?

I'm trying to perfect the tune with my new pumper and would like to know what others use for typical Front Range of CO riding, so from 5,000ft to 12,000ft.

Right now I'm using:
17e needle
Not sure how many clicks out but around 20 I think (need to go count)
about 4 turns out on the pump screw.

This is running pretty good and starts well. I can do power wheelies in first for sure but when I crack the throttle in 2nd or higher gears the bike stumbles. Plug reading from before some tuning was way rich so I clicked out to the lean side once and got better performance. I would just like the same performance in 2nd or 3rd that I have with first.

Does that mean that I'm lean on the pump shot? I went out last night and played more but still got a stumble at really low engine speeds when the throttle is whacked.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.