Newbie question: exhaust availability for 89 xr600r

4 replies to this topic
  • xlnt02

Posted September 22, 2004 - 05:25 PM

Ok so I'm one of the newest members to the site. Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've been in the dirt and I am not real familiar with XRs, but I'm picking up an 89 for $500. It runs good and is in fair condition considering the age so it should be a good ride. I've been looking through some accessory suppliers and noticed that most of the exhausts available are for 85-87 and 91 and up. What's the deal, why are the 88-90 models left out? Is there some reason the 88-90 models are unique?

• Rickyracer

Posted September 22, 2004 - 07:41 PM

I have a 86 XR600 and I got my exhaust from an 88 XR because it is Stainless steel and seems to be a great system. I did, however replace the rear tip with an aftermarket
Rickyracer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Roll_it_on

Posted September 22, 2004 - 08:46 PM

On the 88 and 89 xr's they went to twin head pipes that where independent all the way back to the muffler which had two inlet pipes on the unit. They then went back to the two into one head pipe and the muffler with one inlet. After market pipes are non existent for those years anymore. You can replace the twin head pipes with the newer two into one head pipe and then get a wide range of end pipes from aftermarket suppliers. It will switch right out and bolt right up on your 89. Have fun with the new ride :cry:

• xlnt02

Posted September 23, 2004 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I could tell from reading this site for a couple weeks that someone would have the answer for me.

• XR6

Posted September 23, 2004 - 04:30 PM

Hi,

Just spotted a Supertrapp pipe on ebay for your model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35596

May be worth a look...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.