Ironman sprocket question

12 replies to this topic
  • MxHuggy

Posted September 22, 2004 - 06:07 AM

I have a 50T on my 450 and I have been extremely happy with the durability and wear on it. About a week ago I had to leave the track quickly without doing my usual routine of power washing the bike and drying/lubing the chain before leaving.
It did rain a little at the end of the day, not like Unadilla this year (if you were there you know what I'm talking about :cry:), just a few showers. I couldn't do the clean up on the bike for a few days, due to more rain, so I left the bike in the trailer. When I finally got around to it I noticed that my DID 520MX is now toast (totally rusted) and the Ironman sprocket with very little signs of wear is also rusty.
Am I being silly that I think I can break out the Dremel and buff the rust off or should I just get another sprocket when I order my new chain??

Thanks.

• ripntear

Posted September 22, 2004 - 09:57 AM

With only a week passing, it is probably flash rust and could very easily be buffed off with a wire brush on a grinder or a dremmel. It has not had time to do any structural damage to the sprocket. I would clean it up and save the $$$$$$.

ripntear

• MxHuggy

Posted September 22, 2004 - 02:04 PM

Thanks , I will try that before I spend the cash on a new one.

• Fastest1

Posted September 22, 2004 - 02:12 PM

Lube the chain and ride, it didnt hurt the rollers and pins just the plates. It will clean up in no time. Ever hear of naval jelly?

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 22, 2004 - 03:53 PM

If it was just a week then lube the chain and ride it. It's most likely all surface rust that will come right off and the chain should last a lot longer.

• MxHuggy

Posted September 23, 2004 - 04:47 AM

The chian has a few kinks in it from the rust. Would naval jelly help with that??

I am torn because I am going to a new track tomorrow (Landing MX in Md.) and I dont wont to have any problems.

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted September 23, 2004 - 04:51 AM

It might help, I would just lube it and ride it around to loosen it up. The kinks cant be that set after only a week or two.

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 23, 2004 - 05:34 AM

Scrub it with a brush, rinse and dry it, soak it with chain lube or oil and ride it around the back yard a few laps and I'll bet the kinks go away. If you're nervous buy a second chain and keep it as a spare. You can always use it with your next set of sprockets. :cry:

• craft

Posted September 25, 2004 - 08:36 PM

I bought an Ironman sprocket last summer for my 426F and never put it on because of a debate regarding sheered sprocket bolts. Has anyone heard much more about this? It's about time to put a new chain and sprockets on and I hate to leave a brand new sprocket in the toolbox.

• Fastest1

Posted September 26, 2004 - 06:42 AM

Ironman sprockets dont have abolt shearing problem. That is usually (almost always!) caused from not enough slack in the chain. When installing new sprockets, always install new bolts, washers and nuts, put red loctite on the threads and the backside of the bolts heads where they seat in the sprocket, torque to spec and let sit overnight or 24 hours if you can. Make sure your chain is adjusted correctly thru the whole arc of travel. You wont have any problems! :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 26, 2004 - 05:30 PM

Ironman sprockets dont have abolt shearing problem. That is usually (almost always!) caused from not enough slack in the chain. When installing new sprockets, always install new bolts, washers and nuts, put red loctite on the threads and the backside of the bolts heads where they seat in the sprocket, torque to spec and let sit overnight or 24 hours if you can. Make sure your chain is adjusted correctly thru the whole arc of travel. You wont have any problems! :cry:

Ditto, exactly.

• Tators

Posted September 26, 2004 - 05:31 PM

Ive had one on my WR, gave it plenty of abuse, sproket looks like new, havent had a problem out of it yet

• craft

Posted September 26, 2004 - 06:48 PM

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.