How to break in new crank / top end?

3 replies to this topic
  • B86_Racer

Posted September 22, 2004 - 03:35 AM

Putting a new crank/top end in my bro's bike. What would be the recommended way to break it all in? :cry: I was thinking ride it hard and change the oil immediately afterwards but I dont know

• Butta

Posted September 22, 2004 - 03:58 AM

Well, if it's your BROTHER'S bike, then RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted September 22, 2004 - 04:13 AM

everyone will have a different opinionhere.
When I break in an engine I try and load it up a bit. Start off easy for the first 15min or so the use about 1/2 throttle short shifting. I dont mean load it up so that it's bogging down, just good accleration. Hills are good for a new engine. Try and avoid constant rpm's. Then step up to 3/4 etc etc. I always like to re check the shims, change the oil and check the filter after the first ride. Use a mineral oil for the first few oil changes. If all is well time to put it on kill :cry:

• motocrosschump

Posted September 22, 2004 - 04:13 AM

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.