new wr owner needs help

5 replies to this topic
  • finallap

Posted September 21, 2004 - 06:10 PM

After ten years on XR'S I just bought a 00 WR400. This thing is bone stock no mods almost never rode basicly a brand new bike. I know about the throttle stop thats about it. I would like all the info I can get on setting this thing up before I stsrt riding it.

• briter

Posted September 21, 2004 - 07:27 PM

I'd say start by just leaving it alone. Ride it for awhile getting used to the bike stock. Once you've got a good feel for the bike, start with the sag at approx 4 1/2 inches down with you, your gear and pack on then start on the engine mods - just my 2 cents worth.

• Jethrro

Posted September 21, 2004 - 07:33 PM

I'd say start by just leaving it alone.

... Then figure out if you need more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gee

Posted September 24, 2004 - 07:49 PM

There are several easy things you can do to start with, also review past post on this web site for more details on each modification.
1. Trim throttle stop
2. remove the top from the air breather box, it just lifts off.
3. cut the grey wire, located under the gas tank
4. Change stock exhaust, either modify the stock canister by drilling some holes in it and opening it up, or buy a QUITE aftermarket pipe like an FMF Q.
5. Rejet the carb based on where you live/ride, you will probably need to change the pilot and main jet, and perhaps adjust the clip position on the needle - the owners manual details this fairly well.

I also recommend changing the seat, the stock seat is too hard, check out guts racing, I like the tall/soft foam. :cry:
With these few changes your bike should rip.

• Ducrider999

Posted September 25, 2004 - 05:27 AM

Gee-

Do you remove the entire top of the airbox? or just the insert? I was wondering, I removed the insert but not the entire top of it. All my friends bikes have airboxes that are totally open so I was questioning if I could do it with my WR. Thanks

• Fryboy

Posted September 25, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Gee-

Do you remove the entire top of the airbox? or just the insert? I was wondering, I removed the insert but not the entire top of it. All my friends bikes have airboxes that are totally open so I was questioning if I could do it with my WR. Thanks

Yup the entire lid can be removed from airbox. Another thing you may want to do is T off your carb vents and run them under your seat. This will prevent you from stalling when running through water crossings.

Fryboy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.