Bike stalls

8 replies to this topic
  • Doug997

Posted September 20, 2004 - 03:39 PM

I purchased a new YZ450F in March of 2004. I have only started it a few times and let it run for a couple of minutes, then turned it off. The bike has now been sitting for 5 months. When I start the bike, it will only run with the choke out. Once I push the choke in, it stalls.

Can anyone give me some advise. This is the first time that I've owned a four-stroke. If you can help, please do so

• bushy

Posted September 20, 2004 - 04:25 PM

There is probally dried gas residue in some of the jets. The reason it will only run with the choke out is because it is greatly increasing the amount of gas going to the cylinder, which is making up for the clogged jets.

In simple terms, clean your carb, spraying carb cleaner in every hole. :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 20, 2004 - 04:28 PM

Yes clean the carb, it's goo'd up for sure. If you're going to store the bike like that, at least add some sta-bil to the gas and drain the carb dry.

• Doug997

Posted September 21, 2004 - 06:38 AM

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted September 21, 2004 - 07:49 AM

because it is greatly increasing the amount of gas going to the cylinder, which is making up for the clogged jets.

I agree, it's the clogged jets, but the choke doesn't greatly increase the amount of gas going to the cylinder. It increases the fuel:air ratio by limiting the air coming through (hence the name, choke). Not to ping on you, just a clarification.

• Fastest1

Posted September 21, 2004 - 12:51 PM

I think everyone and their advice is on the right track. The sta-bil can be skipped if you turn the petcock off while it is still running and let it burn what is left in the system. That way no fuel to varnish. Good Luck BTW I always shut off the gas and let it run out, even if I am going to ride it in a few hours. Nobody can twist the throttle and flood my bike if there is no fuel in the bowl.

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 21, 2004 - 06:35 PM

because it is greatly increasing the amount of gas going to the cylinder, which is making up for the clogged jets.

I agree, it's the clogged jets, but the choke doesn't greatly increase the amount of gas going to the cylinder. It increases the fuel:air ratio by limiting the air coming through (hence the name, choke). Not to ping on you, just a clarification.

Actually in this case the choke is an enriching circuit more than a choke. It does increase the fuel flow and does not restrict the air flow (actually allows more air I believe).

• Butta

Posted September 21, 2004 - 11:22 PM

Pardon my lack of experience with this carb, then. So the chocke circuit opens another pathway for the fuel to flow through the carb? I would check the manual, but I'm overseas right now.

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 22, 2004 - 04:08 AM

Pardon my lack of experience with this carb, then. So the chocke circuit opens another pathway for the fuel to flow through the carb? I would check the manual, but I'm overseas right now.

Yes, that is correct. It is not the traditional style choke with a plate that covers most of the throttle opening.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.