Keep blowing fork seals on my 01 WR

22 replies to this topic
  • Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 20, 2004 - 09:31 AM

I keep blowing the fork seal on my left front fork. I have looked for dings/scratches but can't see any on the tube that could be causing this.

I am getting good at changing them, but tired of doing it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• banffboy

Posted September 20, 2004 - 10:12 AM

Try installing fork "boots". I ride alot of wet muddy areas and haven't had to change a fork seal in 2 years :cry:

• 1rkcooper

Posted September 20, 2004 - 03:03 PM

Next time it happens take a good qaulity business card and slide it up and under the fork seal. Slide it in as far as you can and still hang on to it easily. Now work your way around the fork slowly pulling the card out as you go around. You may be getting dirt particles in there and changing seals when there s nothing wrong with them. Now get something to keep the dirt away from the seals.

• washinout

Posted September 20, 2004 - 03:22 PM

or... you are tieing your bike down too snug.

• banffboy

Posted September 20, 2004 - 03:41 PM

Try installing fork "boots". I ride alot of wet muddy areas and haven't had to change a fork seal in 2 years :cry:

and/or clean one

• bushy

Posted September 20, 2004 - 04:27 PM

Have you tried replacing the dust seal on that side?

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 21, 2004 - 08:05 AM

Yes, I replaced the dust seal/oil seal/slider each time.

I have only tied the bike down in the back of my truck 1 time since the last replacement.

I tried the business card trick, no go....

I am starting to wonder if I have a bent tube or scratches on it. The suspension does not seem to 'stick' like a bent tube.

If it has a scratch on it, I guess this could be happening. Has anyone ever had their tubes re-coated?

• endurodog

Posted September 21, 2004 - 09:09 AM

A couple of things.

The card trick has worked for me for about 3 years now I have not replaced a fork seal and was doing a couple sets a year before. I put lots of hours on a bike in a year.

A scratch is a possiblity.

Maybe you are damaging the new seals when you are putting them in. If it seals for a few rides then leaks I would say that the scratch or damage during install are not vaild arguments.

Are you riding in a new area that may have really abrasive dust?

• blireef

Posted September 21, 2004 - 09:13 AM

You can be 90% sure that you have some kind of scratch or rough place on your tube.. Besides looking, did you take some VERY fine emory paper and work on the tube with it? :cry: :cry:

• Fryboy

Posted September 21, 2004 - 09:48 AM

Yo dude,

Get yourself some Sealsavers. Haven't had a seal go out in over 2 years now. I ride a lot of muck and water. Best 15 buck investment you can make.

Fryboy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted September 21, 2004 - 11:15 AM

or... you are tieing your bike down too snug.

This is a myth. There is no extra built up pressure on the seals when you compress the forks. The oil acts as a damper in the fork, limiting the speed of the compression through flow restriction (valves). The springs offer the compression resistance. After your forks are warm, though, you can bleed the air out of them, that would help somewhat, from what I've heard. :cry:

• BrandonW

Posted September 21, 2004 - 12:01 PM

#1. Seal Savers work very well.

#2. Next time you replace your seals, go to the Honda shop. Their stock ones work much better than the blue ones.

:cry:

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 21, 2004 - 12:10 PM

You can be 90% sure that you have some kind of scratch or rough place on your tube.. Besides looking, did you take some VERY fine emory paper and work on the tube with it? :cry: :cry:

How fine? think wet 1500 would work?

Do you think that I would be able to see / feel the scratches?

• Sylvain

Posted September 21, 2004 - 02:25 PM

About :

#2. Next time you replace your seals, go to the Honda shop. Their stock ones work much better than the blue ones.

Can you be more specific about which Honda bike we can interchange the fork seals ?

Thanks

• BrandonW

Posted September 21, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Can you be more specific about which Honda bike we can interchange the fork seals ?

I don't know what bike they were originally for. Last time I wanted to replace seals, I went to the local red shop, and asked them for some that would fit my '98 WR400.

Dude goes back into the warehouse, and comes out with a full set.

I am somewhat flabberghasted, and said "you have some in stock?"

He laughed, and said "would it be better if we ordered you up some? Probably be here next week!"

I think that the diameter of the fork tube is the only thing that really matters, and they should know what they are.

Honda bikes don't "weep" like the blue ones, and I think the seals are the difference.

:cry:

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 22, 2004 - 06:02 AM

The last time I did it I used 'race tech' seals, rather than the OEM ones thinking that would solve the problem...

• DirtyDude

Posted September 22, 2004 - 06:52 AM

I have a very slight scuff on one of my fork legs that is detectable by touch. I have heard about sanding them smooth. Could someone recommend a paper to use, and perhaps offer some tips on technique?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted September 22, 2004 - 09:55 AM

Are you packing grease in-between the fork seals and dust cap?

My manual states that this should be done with every oil change or as needed. IE: after a really muddy ride.

If I let this slide, and don't put fresh grease in periodically, I end up with leaking seals.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 22, 2004 - 07:27 PM

Nope, didn't see that in my manual. But It should be easy enough to do, just pop off the dust cap and pack it. I will try that tomorrow as I am riding on Friday...

Thanks!

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 23, 2004 - 08:29 PM

I found the problem, I DO have some scratches in my fork tube. They are not very long but they are deep.

What do you do about that? Buy new ones? Send them in for re-coating (it takes 8-10 weeks for race tech to re coat them)? Buy some off of e-bay? Sand paper?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.