Trading Blue for Orange

8 replies to this topic
  • V968231

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:19 AM

My WR is going to the dealer (for good this time). I'm going to trade it in for a 2004 400exc.

The KTM seems like the most suitable bike for me. The magic button is going to make life a lot easier. I will not miss the top heavy feel of the WR (I am missing the bike already though).

Not sure if I should be buying the 2004 WR450 (better the devil you know and all that).

I have had many problems with my 1998 WR which have all finally been resolved with help from you guys. Now that the bike is in order I think it is best to let it go before anything else goes wrong.
:cry:

• jwriott

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:25 AM

I'm not so sure you'll be buying a more reliable bike by going to an orange thumper. However, I'd buy the 450 EXC over the 400 EXC in a heartbeat. I think the 400 is underpowered.

• V968231

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:48 AM

I'm not so sure you'll be buying a more reliable bike by going to an orange thumper. However, I'd buy the 450 EXC over the 400 EXC in a heartbeat. I think the 400 is underpowered.

My local dealer has 1 2004 400exc and lots of 2005 450exc. The 2004 400 is £500 less.

• jwriott

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:54 AM

Have you ridden both? For $500 it would be a tough decision. You aren't really talking even bikes though since the 400 is a year older.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted September 20, 2004 - 08:24 AM

It's not $500, it's in pounds, which makes it about $900. But I agree, the 450 sounds like the logical choice.

• TooFaarOut

Posted September 20, 2004 - 10:43 AM

Good go orange one less person out on the trails. :cry: :cry: :cry:

• jhteneyck

Posted September 20, 2004 - 10:49 AM

After you pick up up your KTM don't forget to go the the hardware store and pick up a new set of tools as well. My KTM was a maintence nightmare. If you think you will be trading once machine for a more reliable machine by going orange you may be in for a rude awakening. Just my opinion and experience. Going to a new blue bike ... now thats the ticket :cry:

• Azemon

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:24 PM

Based in the UK. Where do you ride in the UK??

I would go with the WR anytime over the KTM. I have 1700 miles on my 2004 and only wrenching has come from my stupidity. (Didn't tighten the oil plug) And from what I have seen on the inside of my bike, these things rock. I am intermediate rider and my valves are still in spec!

Other than my own stupidity this bike has never hicupped!

Stay Blue. Just keep the oil drain plugs tight!!

Aze

• V968231

Posted September 21, 2004 - 02:31 AM

What additional maintenance do you have to do on a KTM?

Do you have to adjust the valves more frequently?

There seems to be a lot more posts relating to problems with the WR compared to the KTM?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.