Why not to get intimate with trees.

22 replies to this topic
  • tythew

Posted September 19, 2004 - 08:11 PM

Had a big OOPS today. This is why hitting trees is bad:
Clicky 1

Clicky 2

Clicky 3

So anyone know a good place to buy replacement radiators quick and inexpensive? I have hopes of racing one of my favorite Hare Scrambles next weekend.

Still not sure exactly how I ended up kissing the tree, rocks before it somehow tossed me off course. You should have seen the tree though :cry:. Between the side of my helmet, the handguard and the radiator we removed some bark.

Tristan

• B86_Racer

Posted September 19, 2004 - 08:33 PM

your best bet would be to probably go to your local dealer ASAP and get one red labeled (overnighted) you will definitely pay for it but it will get here before the weekend. :cry:

• tammie

Posted September 20, 2004 - 04:19 AM

Invest in DEVOL rad guards!!!! best investment ever......rads are expensive, i bought an extra spare set on ebay i found right and left for 50bucks.......but once you get new ones get rad guards for sure theve saved mine already a bunch of times.......

• jespertheil

Posted September 20, 2004 - 05:07 AM

www.btosports.com

They can help you fast and at low costs..

• tythew

Posted September 20, 2004 - 05:48 AM

Thanks everyone.
I am going to call the dealer today.
Was definately already looking at the radiator guards.
And BTO only seems to sell them in pairs :cry:. Unless I am missing something. My right side is untouched.

• Stumpy

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:23 AM

You can get it to Mylers and back by the weekend and It'll be as good as new and cheaper than a new one. 800-367-7699 or 801-280-8040 http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

• endurodog

Posted September 20, 2004 - 11:08 AM

I 2nd the Mylers stuff, When you get it back you will completly suprised and happy.

• tythew

Posted September 20, 2004 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Stumpy and Dog. I actually sent them an email with links to the pictures last night and just called them to follow up. I found their ad in Dirt Rider. They hadn't had a chance to look at emails yet, but she promised me when someone got back from lunch they would get me an answer. (Crossing fingers). I hope that works as the local stealership wants $276 :cry:.

• beezer

Posted September 20, 2004 - 11:57 AM

Radiator guards wouldn't have helped your tree surgery. You would have had to replace them as well. They help with lower impacts though. Yamaha's parts prices are outrageous. I guess the good thing is you didn't get hurt.

• Jeffro426

Posted September 20, 2004 - 01:31 PM

Another vote for mylers...my 426s radiators looks ALOT like yours...they fixed em up like new...if i remember correctly it was only like 70 bucks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:13 PM

Well, as misery loves company, I thought I'd share the results of my Sunday ride. This was on the John Bull Trail for those familiar with the SoCal Big Bear trail system.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So much for the radiator guard.
Posted Image

Anyway, I shipped it off to Mylers this evening for them to work their magic.

• Jeffro426

Posted September 20, 2004 - 07:12 PM

Been sayin it for years...flimsly aluminum radiator guards do nothing to save your radiator! :cry: :cry:

• Lukejt

Posted September 20, 2004 - 07:24 PM

Been sayin it for years...flimsly aluminum radiator guards do nothing to save your radiator! :cry: :cry:

I dunno man. I'd bet they help, a lot, to a point anyway. I mean, if you are going to crash the bike real damn hard on it's side, sure, they rad is going to be trashed. However, the guards may save the rads during many of minor wrecks or altercations with tress or just dumping the bike on it's side that may damage or smash the radiator without totally crushing it. I've had some tasty wrecks over the past few months, and I'm glad I've got a good set of guards. I ride in rocks.

Check out Flatland Racing:

Flatland Racing

They're stuff is thick. And well put together. My riding pal has Devol (sp?) rad guards and skid plate. My Flatland guards are much thicker, and the rad guards are one peice. My Ti header was trashed a while back, but my rads are still true :cry:

Lukejt:usa:

• id250f

Posted September 20, 2004 - 08:37 PM

i've got a (as you sit on the bike) left side radiator (the side without the cap). It has written on it 05 450 .... don't know if they've changed the design between the years or not.

I was going to put it on ebay one of these days when I get around to it for $100.00 + shipping.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 20, 2004 - 08:42 PM

My Works Connectoin flimsy aluminum radiator guards haved saved my bacon more than once! I've taken a few nasty tumbles on my bike (never tried to get intimate with a tree yet though) and my rads are as straight as the day I bought the bike.

• tythew

Posted September 21, 2004 - 06:08 AM

Thanks ID250F,
I am pretty sure the 450 ones are different. Everything I have seen lists the 00-02, then the 450F. :cry:

• Jeffro426

Posted September 21, 2004 - 12:27 PM

Im sorry, but an 1/8th inch thick peice of aluminum may save you if you lay the bike over, but with a full on radiator hit they arent going to do a thing but be another 50 dollar accessory your going to have to buy after you fix your mangled radiators. Ive had two bikes with them and one without...the two bikes with the braces i still managed to twist the radiators into submission...the one without them has seen some HARD get-offs and their still straight as could be. They might help a little bit, but i have yet to see them save a radiator is a wreck like the picture above.

• SXP

Posted September 21, 2004 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, the damage to the radiator occurred with almost zero forward velocity. I was going over some rocks, was in the wrong gear, tired, suffered a major brain fart, and was teetering on the rock motionless for what seemed like an eternity. Just the slightest fwd momentum would have pulled me clear, but the afore mentioned brain fart prevailed and I fell to the left right where there was a good size boulder between the handle bars and wheel. Crunch!! Results above.

However, in defense of the guards they have saved the rads numerous times in minor get-off and crashes (as evidenced by the damage to the shrouds while the radiator was unscathed.

• yz426onNOS

Posted September 21, 2004 - 08:47 PM

One word! FLOUDINE! :cry:

• Chipstien

Posted September 21, 2004 - 10:26 PM

You mean Mylers can fix a radiator as mangled as that. :cry: :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.