87 XR 600

5 replies to this topic
  • HooDooRMK

Posted January 22, 2002 - 01:39 PM

How do I get the carbs out of my 600? I have taken everything off of them, but they will not come out of the frame, the fit is too tight. Do I need to take the air box off? If so how do I do this. A diagram or picture, etc would be great. Thanks for any help.

• snaggleXR4

Posted January 22, 2002 - 01:43 PM

I'm not real familiar with the dual carb '87 600, but even on a single carb bike, removing the airbox is almost always necesary, if not very helpful. Good luck.

• HooDooRMK

Posted January 22, 2002 - 01:49 PM

That is kind of what I figured, but I have tried getting it off and cannot. I took off all the bolts and the ones going from the box to the flages going into the carb and cannot get it loose?? Any help there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RedThunder

Posted January 22, 2002 - 02:10 PM

I got the dual carbs off my old 500 with the airbox still on. I can't remember exactly, but I think I may have slid them out towards the left (shift lever) side of the bike. Yeah, its a royal PITA, but trying to get the airbox off the dual carb model is even worse yet.

• Highbeam

Posted January 23, 2002 - 08:09 AM

First thing is pull the boots from the airbox back out of the way and outside the frame rails. Yeah, it'll look funny but this will give you room to work. Back and down. Be sure to plug up holes with something so crap doesn't fall into your engine.

• HooDooRMK

Posted January 28, 2002 - 05:32 PM

Thanks guys, I will give it a try. Not in a real big hurry though, we got alot of snow here, so I am a little occupied with snowmobiling right now.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.