Newbee basics

7 replies to this topic
  • aikidad

Posted September 19, 2004 - 07:42 PM

Sorry for the ignorance but can some explain the difference between the XR650 and The XR650L and XR600. From what I have read the XR650L is 50lbs heavier and of course street legal but there has to be more than just that. Also any years I should stay away from whale shopping? Lastly are there any mods that are a must have?

• qadsan

Posted September 19, 2004 - 07:57 PM

The 650L is a super reliable bike setup more for the street. It's made with a steel frame where as the 650R is based on an aluminum frame. The 650L has electric start and the R does not. The L has an older style air cooled engine and the R has a more modern liquid cooled engine that produces significantly more power. The L has different suspension based on older damper rod technology which is great for the street where as the R features a more modern suspension system utilizing pistons & valve stacks. The R is setup for off road use where as the L is setup more for the street. They're both great bikes, but they're entirely different in terms of parts, design, performance, etc. If you're going to ride mostly on the street, then the L may be worth considering where as the R is better suited for off road use.

• aikidad

Posted September 20, 2004 - 09:29 AM

Qadsan thanks for the info; it looks like you have more bikes than some of the dealers I have been to

• thumper245

Posted September 20, 2004 - 09:05 PM

I have a 2002 XR650L and love it, but the one complaint that I have is first gear. I ride mostly on the road because I live in a small town and can go anywhere with in a 50 mile radius from home without a trailer (in the dirt that is) The first gear is way tall for any serious steep down hill with loose dirt over hard packed. My first gear starts to hold me back at around 22 mph. Other than that it is a great bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_CDN

Posted September 21, 2004 - 07:35 AM

Try a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket. I changed mine on my 2004 650L and love it. You lose about 5 MPH of top speed, but 1st and 2nd are way more useable in the dirt. Make sure to buy a good quality one.

• truck6driver

Posted September 22, 2004 - 01:14 PM

You also mentioned the XR600. The 600 and the 650L are basicly the same bike with minor differences. 600 cc engine no turn signals, kick starter not eletric, no battery etc...
What are you looking to do with the bike?

• smashinz2002

Posted September 22, 2004 - 08:37 PM

You also mentioned any years that you should stay away from. Nope. They are all about the same, but do yourself a favor and avoid the twin-carb 600's from the early to mid-80's. If you were thinking about getting one that old.
As stated above, the L and the R are two completely different bikes, one is old tech (the "L"), and one is newer, high tech (the "R").
Overall, of course, the choice is personal preference.

• aikidad

Posted September 23, 2004 - 01:22 PM

Thanks guys, I have decided to get the Honda over the others. I feel it is better for what I will use it for, the 2mi ride to work or 17mi to Gym, weekend trail riding (well desert). I have been looking around and many of the mid 90s have rebuilt eng or top end, I don’t see the same with the DR or KLX. Any Input? I also WAS interested in KTM or Husky but high priced replacement parts have discouraged that. Again guys THANKS FOR THE HELP....

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.